Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
phr33k

Can't find or install aticonfig: 3D accel. problem

Post by phr33k »

Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop
LMDE Cinnamon 32 bit UP8

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux lmde-on-750gb 3.11-2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.11.8-1 (2013-11-13) i686 GNU/Linux
$
$ inxi -C
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU T2300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx)
$
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV515/M52 [Mobility Radeon X1300] 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 graphics card and tried to follow the instructions to get rid of this error message at startup:

No 3D graphics hardware could be found.
Cinnamon acceleration is not available.
I don't have the aticonfig program and don't know where to get it.

$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo: aticonfig: command not found
$
$ sudo apt-fast install aticonfig

Working... this may take a while.
E: Unable to locate package aticonfig
# apt-fast mirror list: Fri Feb 21 13:37:05 UYST 2014
 If you want to download the packages on your system press Y else n to abort. [Y/n]: 
No files to download.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aticonfig
I think I actually have 3D acceleration because glxgears runs just fine and I'm using glx-dock (cairo-dock -o) which requires OpenGL support. So do I need aticonfig and how do I stop the 3D acceleration error message at login?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clfarron4

Re: Can't find or install aticonfig: 3D accel. problem

Post by clfarron4 »

Debian Testing uses this package which is version 14.1. Your card is not supported by this version of fglrx. You are looking to use any version before 12.6.

If there is a reason you must use fglrx over the the Open Source ati/radeon driver (I hear that the open source driver outperforms fglrx on that card), then you will have to downgrade the X server and everything related to it.
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

Before I forget again, I want to say that I ran these commands:

$ apt clean

$ apt update

$ apt reinstall build-essential module-assistant fglrx-driver fglrx-modules-dkms libgl1-fglrx-glx glx-alternative-fglrx fglrx-control fglrx-glx
before I ran:

Thank you @ciffaron4 for replying and trying to help me, but I'm afraid you've failed to understand my original post. fglrx is out of the picture. Why do I say this? Because fglrx is not installed on my laptop.

How do I know this? Because when I run the Synaptic Package Manager and type fglrx into the search box, all the packages in the search results list have blank unmarked boxes at the far left. Furthermore, if I leave fglrx in the search box and click on the "Installed" status, the resulting list is empty.

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but my limited understanding is that the open source ATI driver is what you get for ATI graphics cards when fglrx is not installed. I think the name of the open source wrapper is xserver-xorg-video-ati and the actual open source driver I need is xserver-xorg-video-radeon. According to the Synaptic Package Manager, both of these packages are installed (green check box).

In my original post, I wrote that glxgears runs fine (at 60 fps) and that I am using glx-cairo, which require OpenGL, which in turn means that I have graphics acceleration. If that is wrong, will you (or any knowledgeable person reading this post) please correct me.

When I enter aticonfig in the Synaptic Package Manager search box, I get no results. (The "All" option is the selected status for my search.) So why does this web page

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php

suggest I run the following?

I repeat that I think I've got 2D and 3D graphics acceleration working and what I would like to do is get rid of the error message at login which states:

clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

phr33k wrote:Snip...

fglrx is not installed on my laptop.

Snip..

So why does this web page

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php

suggest I run the following?

I repeat that I think I've got 2D and 3D graphics acceleration working and what I would like to do is get rid of the error message at login which states:

aticonfig is part of the proprietary fglrx package, not xserver-xorg-video-ati.

As for the advice, what advice? I don't see running aticonfig being suggested on the page you linked.
Jarry

Post by Jarry »

Hi. I'm having the same problem.
my system it's a LMDE Cinnamon 64 and i have a Radeon HD4200 graphics card.

until UP8 i was using the fglrx legacy driver. i have uninstalled it as the notes said. but the open source driver its not being detected by cinnamon. glxgears runs fine, and gives me around 200 fps.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Please post the output of:

inxi -Gx
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

@Monsta

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV515/M52 [Mobility Radeon X1300] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
So does "Direct Rendering" mean that I have graphics acceleration?

@ciffaron4
clfarron4 wrote: I don't see running aticonfig being suggested on the page you linked.
Well that's because the LMDE folks changed the web page when LMDE 201403 RC was released. When I copied the text from the URL and pasted it into my post, there was no mention whatsoever of sgfxi on that web page. The web page was changed last Saturday between the time I posted and the time you posted. The web page I copied from was replaced by the web page we now both see. The URL remains the same. When I posted, there was no mention anywhere on linuxmint.com of LMDE 201403 RC having been released.
clfarron4 wrote:aticonfig is part of the proprietary fglrx package, not xserver-xorg-video-ati.
I wrote
phr33k wrote:the open source ATI driver is what you get for ATI graphics cards when fglrx is not installed. I think the name of the open source wrapper is xserver-xorg-video-ati and the actual open source driver I need is xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
So thanks for explaining that aticonfig is part of fglrx, which I said I don't have installed. That explains this:

sudo: aticonfig: command not found
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

phr33k wrote:So does "Direct Rendering" mean that I have graphics acceleration?
Yes.
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

@Monsta
OK, so why do I get the error message

every time I login? Can I get rid of it? That's why I posted in the first place.

I'd like to stick with the open source driver if I can. I hear it's actually better than AMD/ATI's proprietary driver for Linux.

Tnx.

BTW, when I installed LMDE, I was at UP6 with no error message. Going to UP7 didn't cause the error message to start appearing; it was going to UP8 that did so.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

phr33k wrote:OK, so why do I get the error message
No idea, but I've reported this issue to Clem, maybe he will find out why Cinnamon doesn't like your video card.
phr33k wrote:I'd like to stick with the open source driver if I can.
Actually, it's your only option. AMD/ATI dropped the legacy cards support for newer Xorg versions (starting from 1.13 or 1.14 I think, and UP8 has 1.14).
phr33k wrote:BTW, when I installed LMDE, I was at UP6 with no error message. Going to UP7 didn't cause the error message to start appearing; it was going to UP8 that did so.
With UP8 Cinnamon has been upgraded from 1.8 to 2.0, so it may be some bug in this version.
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

@Monsta

Tnx for passing the problem on to Clem.

It may well be Cinnamon 2.0. I'm running the LMDE that gives me this problem from an external HD. For everday use, I've got Linuxmint 14 Cinnamon 32 bit on my internal HD and it's at Cinnamon 1.6.7. I've got graphics acceleration and no error message when running Nadia.

Tnx for your help.
lyovushka

Post by lyovushka »

The following solved a similar issue for me:

apt install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon

Return to “LMDE Archive”