[SOLVED] Wine is installing to root folder instead of home.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
M0rph3us

[SOLVED] Wine is installing to root folder instead of home.

Post by M0rph3us »

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, so please bear with me. I installed PlayOnLinux, which then asked me to insall Wine so I did that as well. I installed Amazon Kindle via POL but it refused to launch, just saying that POL had encountered an error. So I uninstalled it to start over. I then downloaded the installer.exe file for Kindle, created a directory for it in "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon" and placed the installer.exe there. Next, I navigated to the Amazon folder in the terminal and ran "wine KindleForPC-installer.exe" which seemed to work fine. However, the install placed the launcher file in "/root/Desktop" and the My Kindle Content folder in "/root". Kindle will launch from there and work correctly, but I really don't want it in the root directory where I don't have ownership. To put it simply, I want the launcher and content folder in my home directory like everything else. Since I don't have ownership of root though, I can't even move the files to the desired location.

Very frustrated. Can anyone help with this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Can't really help with where the programme is installed but just so you know you'll still be able to move files there as you can always open a folder as root by right clicking it and selecting Open As Root.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Mute Ant

Re: Wine is installing to root folder instead of home.

Post by Mute Ant »

The only way it can get into /root/ is if you used sudo. It sounds like the Wine software installer made a failed attempt to find /root/.wine/ and used /root/ instead. So, don't use sudo, you are not installing software into the Linux system and you really don't want wild code outside of /home. New Wine programs should arrive right where you put the installer, in the pseudo-windows area of your home folder...
  • ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/
M0rph3us

Re: Wine is installing to root folder instead of home.

Post by M0rph3us »

Sorry to not reply sooner.

I use keystroke combinations to launch terminal and root terminal, and I must have used root to install it the first time. After wiping everything and starting over, paying close attention to where things were installing, it all works correctly now.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”