Ext2/3 Extra-Large Overhead?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
routine

Ext2/3 Extra-Large Overhead?

Post by routine »

I made the jump.

After sampling a dozen or so Linux distros, I've finally found the one to replace my Windows (Win2003) desktop. Linux Mint, for me, is the right blend of power and luxury, and has the looks to boot. Thank you for such an awesome distro.

I have a question on the file systems; specifically ext2 and 3. I've read the pages on ext2, 3, 4, and journalling on wikipedia. So, I'm at least familiar with them. However, I have a question.

I have a 160 gig external hard drive. The operating system (Windows & Linux) reports that the drive has 150 gigs available; this is probably do to the differences in how drive manufacturers and software programmers count.

Anyways, in Linux, when I format the drive as NTFS, I get 149.something GB free space. When I format ext2 or ext3 I get 140.4 and 140.2 GB free space respectively. Ok, so the 200 meg difference between ext2 and 3 is the journalling file; I can buy that. But, where does the rest go? Why do I lose almost 10 gigs of free space?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Ext2/3 Extra-Large Overhead?

Post by Husse »

Could it be recalculated between the two kinds of Gbytes one more time?
You should really check with something else to see what really happened
But it sounds strange....
routine

Re: Ext2/3 Extra-Large Overhead?

Post by routine »

Doubtful... as formatting NTFS, JFS, or XFS yield 149 gigs, instead of 140. anyways, it's not really an issue for me as I've decided to go with JFS.

Return to “Beginner Questions”