Updating Daryna to Elyssa

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Updating Daryna to Elyssa

Post by Husse »

This depends on if you have home on a separate partition see
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
I want to point out that you should move all hidden files and folders into an empty folder so you get a fresh install
Then when you install your applications you can bring forth the settings - they are all saved including passwords
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigBaaadBob

Post by BigBaaadBob »

When you say "bring forth the settings" I assume you mean manually, by moving settings files back? That isn't always straight forward since you need special knowledge to know what to move. For example, Pidgin needs .purple, and I don't know how someone would know that if they weren't current in the implementation details of Pidgin.

I was hoping there was a way to selectively tell Mint to update Mint-specific files, like menus, etc...
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have a valid point
You could hide just the .gconf* and .gnome* and .linuxmint folders
That is perhaps better - no doubt on what to hide and no problems when you install applications
I'm still considering what to do ....
BigBaaadBob

Post by BigBaaadBob »

Have your thoughts solidified? It seems like a simple script would help:
  • Create a settings backup directory
  • Move the minimal set of settings files into it (based on what is needed to get the newer behavior but not loose serious user customization
  • Echo some advice for what the user needs to do post upgrade
The hard part is the second item. There is a lot of stuff in the .gconf and .gnome directories. (I think you mean .gnome2 btw, right?)

Thinking about this, though, I think it might be easier if instead there were a post-update script that would selectively modify just the settings needed to get the newer look-and-feel. There just seems to be so much that could go wrong with the other way around.

Or, keeping things simple, if there were just a short list of "things to do" to get the new look and feel, we could do it manually. Things like art and menus for example...
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I wish someone could post a screenshot by screenshot of how to move your home partition and then restore it. I'm afraid that when Mint 6 comes out I will have my files, but all my settings will be gone. :cry:

Return to “Installation & Boot”