Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobHK

Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

Post by RobHK »

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo about 5 years old.

Whether I install Mint Daryna or Elyssa the installation process is trouble-free and automatic and I can install the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver. But with Elyssa, the maximum resolution - installed by default - is 1024 x 768, whereas with Daryna it is 1280 x 1024. The Screens and Graphics option that was there in Daryna has gone. The same thing happens in Ubuntu, but in Ubuntu Hardy the Screens and Graphics option has just been moved (to Applications/Other), and when I access it I can make the change to 1280 x 1024.

Any ideas as to how I can obtain the higher resolution in Mint 5?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Max resolution in Elyssa lower than in Daryna

Post by lakehousetech »

Have you installed the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver via restricted drivers, through Envy, or manually (via download from the site)? Give some more details and we should be able to work this out.
RobHK

Post by RobHK »

lakehousetech wrote:Have you installed the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver via restricted drivers, through Envy, or manually (via download from the site)? Give some more details and we should be able to work this out.
Almost certainly via Restricted Drivers. But I don't think it's an NVidia issue, as in Daryna and Ubuntu Gutsy I get the max resolution immediately, while the free driver is in use. In fact, I have max res on the live CD.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

If so try restarting into the recovery console and editing the resolution settings manually via the xorg.conf file. See if that helps.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The "Screens and Graphics" tool is hidden by default per Ubuntu. You can start it manually via the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo displayconfig-gtk
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
RobHK

Post by RobHK »

Thanks very much to all who answered.

I tried the xfix but it didn't help. I was able to find a setting that worked in Screens and Graphics. Annoying that you have to know a terminal command to access it. Ubuntu 8.04 moved it (can't think why) but it is still there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”