Update doesn't work!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Update doesn't work!

Post by sdim »

Hi,everybody.
I've been working with Mint and it's been some time now that the little icon with the lock (update) isn't working,and I don't think it's my fault.I've tried through the Mint Update icon,but same there.
Has it crashed?Is there something I can do to make it as it was?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update doesn't work!

Post by lakehousetech »

What exactly do you mean it doesn't work? Can you be more specific as in....the program does 'nothing' when I click it, or I get an error, or it just won't install the updates?
Royo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Royo »

I also have a problem with update. The small lock tells me there are 42 updates available, when i click and enter password the screen opens up, interrogates the internet then doesnt list any updates and tells me my system is up to date. This only happens when i first boot up, there after my system is diplayed as up to date.

Cheers Roy

Don't know whether my problem is the same or diiferent.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Thanks for the answers.
When I click on the lock,sometimes it "breaks",or,most of the times,it asks for my password,I give it,it opens,but there are no updates visible,although it has already told me there are e.g. "12 updates available".
From that point on,it does nothing and I close it down,since there is nothing to do.

P.S. I have a permanent Internet connection,so there is no chance the lock "breaks" because of no Internet connection.
The problem looks like Royo's problem,as described above.

Thank you.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
tonyapp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tonyapp »

Not wishing to start a new thread can I ask for help with my Mint Update problem which seems similar to the other contributors to this thread.
I have Elyssa and for some time all was well. At about the time of the depository failure my Update padlock showed "broken" but hovering over it just says "unable to connect to the internet". I posted a query on the forum about it at the time but this brought no response. I thought I would leave it and see if it came good but checking today still shows the same fault . I have a solid internet connection and normal application or new program installation via Synaptic is fine. There appears to be a config issue with "update" and I would be very grateful for any help in making this useful facility work again.
Tony

Return to “Beginner Questions”