File encryption in Thunar?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DapperMe17

File encryption in Thunar?

Post by DapperMe17 »

Just looking for a program that will allow simple "right click" options to encrypt & decrypt files in Thunar?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: File encryption in Thunar?

Post by 900i »

Don't think there is such a thing as encryption is quite a complicated operation, but I could be wrong. I use Truecrypt as do many others.

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Ubuntu forums have a really great script by Robert, although for Nautilus. I'm going to give it a shot in Thunar & will post any findings.

Thanks for your replies.
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Would anyone know which /home hidden file I would place any scripts for Thunar? In Nautilus (Gnome), there is a nautilus-scripts file in the .gnome2 file.

:roll:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

DapperMe17 wrote:Would anyone know which /home hidden file I would place any scripts for Thunar? In Nautilus (Gnome), there is a nautilus-scripts file in the .gnome2 file.

:roll:
Thunar uses custom actions to launch scripts you just need to point it to the file.
Then set the options.
All the ones I have included are in /usr/bin

Can you point to the post that tells you how to set it up in nautilus?
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Sure, it's...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=548800

Look for Robert's reply.

Thanks
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Success,

Both of Robert's script "Secure-Wipe" & "Encrypt/Decrypt" work like a charm in Thunar!

Simply copy both scripts to seperate files in any folder you would like, then open Thunar & set up "custom actions" for both, then simply point those to the script files that you had just saved.

Only one issue with the "encrypt/decrypt" script, for some reason when decrypting the file, the decrypted file never actually appears, even though the info-box says the decryption is complete. Just double-click the file & you can decrypt with the default GPG program.

Don't forget to "chmod" both actions in a terminal window.

Return to “Xfce”