Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [16-07-14]

Post by Monsta »

GeneBenson wrote:I finally narrowed it down to a conflict between dbus and mintsystem at startup time.
Ok, removing "dbus" prerequisite from /etc/init.d/mintsystem script seems to fix this issue. I don't see why this script requires dbus in the first place - it's not used in the adjustment script or anywhere else.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Today's upgrade makes system "unloggable". If I try to login to Cinnamon or Gnome classic it stucks on a black screen with mouse arrow. Nothing goes further. As I've found some lib starting on p or o letter causes this (libo*.deb or libp*.deb).

EDIT:
Strange. Only logging in from graphical prompt does the problem. When i log in from text prompt on TTY1 and run startx it runs Cinnamon with no troubles.
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

Cyr4x wrote:Strange. Only logging in from graphical prompt does the problem. When i log in from text prompt on TTY1 and run startx it runs Cinnamon with no troubles.
I think I can confirm this. Logging in from mdm gets stuck.Not exactly sure which packaged caused this as I did a really big dist-upgrade today.

Think I caught sight of some gdk-pixbuf error similar to http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p828324 but following the instructions there didn't solve my problem. After some hair pulling, I've installed lightdm for the time being which works too (only how to use startx to log in to root...) in place of mdm. But I noticed all my startup scripts at log in don't run anymore.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Can't reproduce that in my Debian Testing VM (not LMDE, but has some Mint packages installed) with MATE and MDM 1.6.9.
The login is fine.

Maybe you should try this version of MDM?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Cyr4x wrote:Today's upgrade makes system "unloggable". If I try to login to Cinnamon or Gnome classic it stucks on a black screen with mouse arrow. Nothing goes further
It's gnome-keyring 3.12 that breaks the manual login in MDM.
Automatic login still works.

Strange that I couldn't reproduce it earlier... gnome-keyring 3.12 migrated to Testing on 3rd September...
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

That's it. Just edit the file /etc/pam.d/mdm and comment two lines:

Code: Select all

auth    optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
That solves the issue and I can login from mdm to my desktop again.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yeah, I use this workaround too. However, it won't be applied in Mint as a solution since the keyring isn't unlocked automatically on login now. :?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Finally, fglrx is back in Testing (this version should be compatible with xserver 1.16).
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Today's kernel update to 3.16 crashes X server with Nvidia graphics (340.32 drivers). If i remove xorg.conf X server starts, but in 1024x768 resolution and no 3d acceleraton of course. I don't know, it's lack of some gfx modules for the new kernel?

EDIT:
Problem solved, that was simple. Just rebuild DMKS module for Nvidia driver:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms
Last edited by Cyr4x on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

Cyr4x wrote:That's it. Just edit the file /etc/pam.d/mdm and comment two lines:

auth    optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
That solves the issue and I can login from mdm to my desktop again.
This is an amazing hack, just made my day!! Apparently lightdm (which I've been using for about a month now) starts up some programs wayyy slower than mdm :lol: But yeah, thinks are back to their nice and snappy state now :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [29-09-14]

Post by Monsta »

Skype plugin for libpurple messengers (pidgin-skype) is broken in Testing. Get the fixed version from Sid.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Afer upgrading kernel to 3.16 Mintupdate crashes with statement:

Attempt to unlock mutex that was not locked
Aborted
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's not the upgrade to kernel 3.16, (i'm sorry for posting a link to another forum but i saw the same problem yesterday with other applications >> 1)
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

I don't have mintupdate (tracking testing from Sparky now) but mirage and reportbug give the same errors here. They still worked with 3.16 (for a day or two). I suppose at least in my case it was the libglib2.0-packages moving from 2.40.0-5 to 2.42.0-1 that did it. It seems that some gtk-programs also have a slightly different appearance since that change.

Edit: Same problem with pyrenamer.

2nd edit: As mentioned in Debian's bug report #763787 https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=763787 you can solve the mutex-problem by downgrading all your libglib2.0-packages to your last working version or (in case you have none in /var/cache/apt/archives) to version 2.41.1-2 which you can get from snapshot.debian.org . It worked in my case with the snapshot-versions.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

This is due to some recent changes in GLib >= 2.41.
See this comment for the complete info.

As GTK+ devs said, they've patched both GTK+ 2 and 3 to introduce a workaround for this issue:
  • GTK+2 commit (not yet available in Debian, but you can patch and build gtk+2.0 yourself)
  • GTK+3 commit (available in GTK+ 3.14)
This workaround eliminates the crashes in most packages (but not all of them - e.g. geany-plugin-debugger is still crashing).

So, there are two ways to fix this:
  1. The "right" way: adjust the code of every application that uses GDK threads to make sure it has threads_enter/threads_leave wrapping around gtk.main() call.
  2. Get the patched GTK+ 2 and 3 with the aforementioned workaround.
And as the patched GTK+2 isn't there in Debian yet, I've patched some Mint tools to make them work correctly with GDK threads. Since all the affected tools are written in Python, you can easily patch them too right in your system.

Here's the list: And just for the sake of completeness, here's the (possibly incomplete) list of the upstream packages affected by this issue:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [06-10-14]

Post by Monsta »

Upgrading lightdm from 1.10.1-3 to 1.10.2-2 breaks it if you choose to keep the current configuration file (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf).
LightDM crashes and you have to run startx manually to get to your desktop.
If you experience this (or simply don't want to replace your config), edit this file and comment/erase these lines:

greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
The "greeter-session" parameter may have any other value on your system, but you need to comment it anyway.

It has something to do with the new /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf file:

# Debian specific defaults
#
# - use lightdm-greeter session greeter, points to the etc-alternatives managed
# greeter
# - hide users list by default, we don't want to expose them
# - use Debian specific session wrapper, to gain support for
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d scripts

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
greeter-hide-users=true
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

And as if the mutex issue wasn't enough, some Python apps (mintlocale, mintupload, keepnote, mirage, reportbug) now crash on start with segfault:

[ 2185.028421] mirage[3072]: segfault at 0 ip           (null) sp 00007fff36fb4228 error 14 in python2.7[400000+31c000]
This time I really can't figure out who broke it, because there were no updates to python or pygtk... :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

no change for me (at least with mirage- the only affected app that i have installed here apart from deadbeef)

zerozero@home ~ $ mirage
Aborted
zerozero@home ~ $ 
in today's batch of updates

Setting up libglib2.0-data (2.42.0-2) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.42.0-2) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-0:i386 (2.42.0-2) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-bin (2.42.0-2) ...
Setting up libglib2.0-dev (2.42.0-2) ...
but that didn't make a difference.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Ok, nevermind, found out who's responsible for that: this hack which I've been testing yesterday and haven't disabled afterwards. Sorry for the false alarm. :D
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Something weird happened after an upgrade few days ago. When i try to turn off PC, it runs a job for LSB that counts up to 5 mins. After that, the PC restarts instead of turning off. Look at the screenshot.

Return to “LMDE Archive”