partitioning strategy confusion - please confirm

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: partitioning strategy confusion - please confirm

Post by msuggs »

I'd suggest a larger home partition, maybe 10gb. You'd be surprised what builds up in the the way of logs, cache's and config files. I use a 15gb / directory and find it a nice size.

For you shared partition your only problem with fat 32 is its 4gb file size limit. Not so great if you want to work with large video files. NTFS Read Write support comes out of the box with Elyssa. It shouldn't be a problem if you set it up right in the manual partitioner during setup.

hth
-omns
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

You can add the necessary information to mount your ntfs partition by manually editing your /etc/fstab or there's a nice gui tool called 'ntfs-config' that will do it for you. You can install it with the package manager (Synaptic), the APT section of the software portal (mintInstall) or in a terminal type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

You might find that driver a bit flaky with larger files although it's been a while since I've used it. This sort of warning fro the project's site always worries me
WARNINGS:

The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,
since there might be software conflicts and I could only test it
on some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care and
use it at your own risk!
Explore2fs is another option to use in Windows :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”