[SOLVED] Add folder to $PATH

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Add folder to $PATH

Post by Husse »

I was thinking of the same (almost) as I want to change the locale for date
With Elyssa there was a change and this was moved entirely (?) to /etc
I'll have to check what is the correct procedure now
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wickedlester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wickedlester »

You can create a .bashrc file and add it there.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - but I did that to fix my locale problem and it did not change anything...
wickedlester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wickedlester »

Not sure about the locale setting, but I have all my alias's, added paths, etc in my .bashrc and they are all recognized and work. Looks like the system wide bash file is /etc/bash.bashrc which is sourced from /etc/profile. changes could be made here and they would be system wide but it would be better to make personal changes in the ~ directory. I think that if one is running bash as a login shell, that ~/.bashrc should automatically be sourced but I may be wrong.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is much more complicated (the time/date thing) that I thought
Sorry for the detour - I'm getting gray hairs over my failure to get Tbird show dates the right way

Return to “Beginner Questions”