how and where can i reinstall xgl

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shua

how and where can i reinstall xgl

Post by shua »

compiz still won't work, i already installed the ati driver. i "compiz" in the terminal and it said "checkin for xgl: not present" :?
(running linux mint elyssa) so my question is, where can i reinstall or install the xgl?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how and where can i reinstall xgl

Post by 67GTA »

Open the package manager and search for xserver-xgl, or with the command line(terminal)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
shua

Re: how and where can i reinstall xgl

Post by shua »

(setting:me thinking everything's fine as i type "compiz" into terminal to check, then rage sets in and i start wondering how that computer would look disembodied up on shelf somewhere, then questioning, "why does this happen?!", then sadness as i cry myself to sleep)
okay did that, fixed the xgl problem, but now it keeps coming up with "gconf backend: There is an unsupported value at path...Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly." there were 3 paths
apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/show_desktop_edge.
*ditto*
apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge

and in another place it says "usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide usr/share/backgrounds/bianca-blue.png" i don't know if that one's a problem

one more question: if i installed the ATI driver do i still need to install the nVidia one because it says "checking for nVidia: not present"

Return to “Beginner Questions”