Need Help (Elyssa keeps on crashin' ...)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
melltuga

Need Help (Elyssa keeps on crashin' ...)

Post by melltuga »

hi,

okay, here is my problem:

few weeks ago i started using ubuntu hardy heron. since it kept on crashing i switched to linux mint, hoping this would solve the problem. but it didn't.

when i'm downloading with transmission while watching a video (totem player) elyssa/ubuntu crash. i tired " magic + sysqr + r " - nothing.

so i decided to switch to deluge.

hell yeah, problem solved (at least, that's what i thought at first). but then i was watching a youtube-video (while downloading with deluge) and elyssa crashed again. i can reproduce this as often as i want.

then i thought, maybe switching to another distro would help ... i tried pclinuxos kde, gnome & tiny me. While using the live-cd everything works fine, but after the installation none of them would boot. same wih mandriva. i can see the progress-bar but nothing happens.

so i started an over-night-ram-check. 0 errors.

hardware i use:

- Gigabyte Motherboard
- geil RAM
- AMD 64x2 4600 +
- asus en7300gt silent

Okay ... hopefully there's anyone out there who knows what to do :D

greets,

melltuga
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Need Help (Elyssa keeps on crashin' ...)

Post by Husse »

As it happens when you watch a video it could have something to do with graphics :)
I see that there is a built in ATI video and support for ATI CrossFire
You use nvidia graphics card - perhaps not so good. I've asked around about the combination and if I find something useful will come back
Husse

Post by Husse »

Here's a bit more
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... 78GPM-DS2H
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... MA78GM-S2H
These are better as the built in graphics is as good and they havebetter power handling. The card you have will burn if you use a Phenom processor
Now you did not ask for hardware advice but your problems may be hardware related especially if your power supply is not up to it (and most are not :()
However the "works on the live CD but not installed" problem has been more frequent lately
I have no idea what may cause your problems except hardware - and there is no way of telling if that's the case short of testing
(and I have a real hardware guru at hand :))
melltuga

Post by melltuga »

okay, thanks for your help :)

i think i'll just try buying new ram and a new motherboard.

oh and i'll never use a phenom processor :D ( at least not the next 4 to 5 years ^^)

greets,

mT

Edit: My power supply got 450 W, that should be enough ( i hope ... )
Husse

Post by Husse »

My power supply got 450 W, that should be enough ( i hope ... )
PSUs have very varying quality - check what you get on 12 volts - that's the crucial part

Return to “Beginner Questions”