IPv6 question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux n00b

IPv6 question

Post by Linux n00b »

Just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... ar-present

I just ran the test, and there is no IPv6 connection open on my Mint 5 laptop.

However, this raised an interesting point. Is Linux by default has open to attack IPv6 connectivity or protected if IPv6 is enabled?

Once IPv6 is enabled (assume this is the future standard, we have no choice but use it), what is the best practice to ensure the safety of system?

By the way, is there any "default" firewall in Mint? I always use a software firewall for Windows, but not sure about Linux. Any suggestion to a good, easy to config firewall for Linux? My computers are always connected behind router.

The file specified in /etc, I just couldn't find it, am I missing something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: IPv6 question

Post by Husse »

I did not read the article in the link - just a quick glance
Mint has IPv6 disabled by default - that's why you see a warning about it if you have a verbose boot.
The subject of firewalls is a bit different from Windows
All (?) Linux distributions have iptables (google for it to get more information) and the applications called firewalls are just some GUI to iptables. Debian based distributions (or at least Ubuntu) have ports closed to the outside by default. So if you are behind a router (which normally has a firewall) you don't have to do anything

Return to “Beginner Questions”