Pretty Much Nothing Works

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bionicjoe

Pretty Much Nothing Works

Post by Bionicjoe »

Tonight for some reason my laptop (IBM T42) wouldn't connect to my access point (WPA). This had been working for two days without issue.

While trying to fix this I turned off the dbus service. After much trouble I got it started again, but still I cannot configure networking, users, and several other key systems. The 'Unlock' button is grayed out.
The networking manager isn't running at all.
The dbus service doesn't start at boot anymore.

ANY ideas? I can't find anything.

On top of this (even BEFORE the problems above) the system would crash while logging in.
When logging out or switching user the login screen would not load. Black screen only which meant a hard reboot.
The 'Quit' screen takes a very long time to appear after clicking 'Quit'

Linux Mint is ok, but very buggy with minimal support so far. I'll be reinstalling XP tomorrow (I hate this, but need it). 12th Linux install (or more) and this has been the worst one yet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Pretty Much Nothing Works

Post by 67GTA »

Failing hard drive or bad RAM?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Yeah sounds hardware related, unless you accidentally (or intentionally) performed a kernel upgrade....although I still don't see how that would cause that much trouble. Good luck.
Critom

Post by Critom »

It does sound hardware related possibly. Most if not all on here run Mint fine with none or minor problems, have you tried with just running the live disk.
I am a veritable Newbie to linux but it may help others more knowledgable to help you if you posted a list of your hardware to see if they can spot a potential problem.
As i said above i am a newbie and i have now put mint on 3 machines without any real problems and i now run mint on both my laptop and desktop full time, with just one partition for XP incase i want to play a game.

Just a thought as you mentioned it did work ok, have you done all the updates available?

Post by Guest »

Sorry for the negativity of that post. Didn't mean to make it sound like another WIndows noob that didn't understand linux.

Not long after that post I dug up a Ubuntu Feisty Fawn CD. Everything is working great now, and I even Beryl running smooth.

Like any new OS (Vista, XP, or Linux distro), I'd advise people to stay clear unless they have the time and resources to invest in the bugs.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I didn't think your post was negative. There are some bugs, although not on the scale that you mentioned which is why we were thinking you may have been having hardware problems. I'm glad you figured things out. It can be easy to make critical mistakes when your new to an OS. Welcome to the Mint community!

Return to “Hardware Support”