I can help testing on AMD64

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

ill test as well
please,
ive used mint for like 2 days, but i already think it is much nicer than other distros
so id love to have it work my 64bit chip to its fullest!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The biggest issue with anything Linux and 64-bit is the lack of support for flash adn used to be media. Mplayer now apparently works on 64-bit but flash does not unless you install a 32-bit browser which defeats the purpose of having a 64-bit OS.

Phoronix has done a benchmark comparison between 32-bit and 64-bit and there is very little difference between them on teh same 64-bit hardware.

Bottom line is that for right now, 64-bit is really a waste of time on either Linux or Windows since it doesn't give you any benefits and apps are very hard to come by still.

Some will argue this but this has been my experience with 64-bit vs 32-bit linux.

Here is the link to the Phoronix comparison:

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=8325
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

It might make a noticeable difference for users of Gentoo or any other source based distro since you have to compile everything anyway but for the rest of us real world users, there are not tangible benefits to 64-bit right now as you can see from the benchmarks. In fact, you'll see that 32-bit in some cases is faster.
qdlaty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qdlaty »

I made "Mint64" by installing Ubuntu64 and adding Mint packages and themes.
Was not hard and work very well.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

qdlaty wrote:I made "Mint64" by installing Ubuntu64 and adding Mint packages and themes.
Was not hard and work very well.
Hi friend. I'm maty1206 Spanish forum moderator and Linxu Mint develop team.

I'm really interested in your edition of Mint for AMD64.

Can you give me a copy of your editions for show it to Clem.

He will be really happy and interested in test your edition. If everything works properly, I hope that your edition could be one more of the official Mint Editions, like XFCE, GNOME, KDE.

Please, upload your iso image to a Ftp or a free hosting and share to me the link.

Thanks
Linux Mint apps translator
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

qdlaty - did you create it like this, or similar to this?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12061
teemac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teemac »

I would also love to be able to use Mint64.

Currently I have 5 machines and have to use Kubuntu64 because of 24/7 data processing (BOINC), but the Mint32 version is what I put on all my friends computers.

I am missing out on all the Minty Goodness :( while my friends benefit from this excellent distro.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Fragadelic is right - there is very little to gain from 64 bit in a desktop (servers and special machines are another story)
But it will probably eventually be the norm....
eLqUIA

Re: I can help testing on AMD64

Post by eLqUIA »

Well Hello Guys (and Gals):
1- I´m a life time windows (arrrghhh) user, started out there with DOS 4.0.
2- I´m now on Vista x64 running Ubuntu x64 in a VMWare machine and MINT 5.0 in a VirtualBox (Sun) machine.
3- Rig is AMD AM2 4200 w/2GB RAM and 2 x 250GB SATA in RAID (stripping).
4- If I can afford it, next month I´ll be changing micro to an phenom x4 quadcore and 4 GB of ram
5- Maybe, repeat: maybe I´ll start dual booting windows and linux.
6- As a long life windows user: vista is the best WINDOWS to date. With XP I had at lease once a week a BSOD. It´s been a year with vista and ONLY ONCE IVE HAD A BSOD (installed a bad driver). I havn´t turnd off my pc in the las 30 days. Vista works and it IS fast guys.

Base Line is: I like to do everything faster, I do a lot of image and audio editing, some video also.

But... I hate Bill. I Love to tinker, AKA Linux. Started with Mandriva, arrhhhggghhh, Followed w ubuntu... DISCOVERED MINT: I Love the eye candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE that its easier to use than ubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. But... there are a LOT of proggies that you CANT find for linux: gimp is NOT photoshop. UbuntuStudio is NOT Audition, etc. So I will live with both, BUT ONLY 64 BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I believe MINT is the right way to Go Clem!!!!, but remember windows 3.11 versus 95, aka 16 bits versus 32 bits: Im hearing the same bullshit now. 64bit (and in a couple of years 128 bit) is the FUTURE

PLEASE: WHEN WILL WE SEA X64 MINT????????????????'

KEEP ON WITH THE GREAAAAATTTTTTTTT WORK
matthewsmith93

Post by matthewsmith93 »

I can also volunteer to test and develop Mint64. I switched from Mandriva to Mint several months ago and run Elyssa on a 32 bit laptop with 1 gig of RAM and a dual core AMD64 with onboard NVIDIA graphics and sound.
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

I'm willing to help in any kind of porting to be done and/or test it.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

if there is a remastersys iso with a Ubuntu64/mint mix, I'm to interested to test this!!

next week i got my new PC with a core2quad Q9300 CPU, so i can to help testing mint64!

For mi personal uses i don't see the advantage to use 64bit, but i'm always interested to test new things. :D :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Mint 5 x64 Edition is almost ready. We've identified 3 bugs so I'm working on fixing them, as for an RC release stay tuned it could come out soon.

Clem.

Re: I can help testing on my new Thinkpad

Post by Guest »

I'd be happy to help test as well. My linux technical ability is limited to cutting and pasting commands into the terminal. But I'll try! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”