Error during 1-st start: No Exec in session file [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drvlas

Error during 1-st start: No Exec in session file [SOLVED]

Post by drvlas »

Hi everybody!

I'm a newbie in Linux. Installed Linux Mint Cinnamone 16 64 bit (full). During the startup I have a subj message (don't know the exact translation, my system writes in Ukrainian and I lack PC-Linux terminology) and starts a safemode session.
Afterwards there was a msg that I should solve the problem. So I'm afraid to do anything, to install programs and study Mint.

Please tell me what error is to be repaired and in what a way. In accordance with my zero level, for God's sake!
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drvlas

Additional info: sys log file

Post by drvlas »

I've guessed that some additional info would be useful.
So here is /var/log/syslog in attachment. At the 261-st line you can find WARNING in Ukrainian. That is the one I'm thinking about

...Well, what extention IS allowed? Aha, RAR. I post here a short seemingly relevant section of the file. The warning is in it. It goes as: Missing line Exec in session file: ubuntu. Starting a safemode session GNOME

Code: Select all

Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop NetworkManager[875]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop NetworkManager[875]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop kernel: [   11.525368] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 47 for MSI/MSI-X
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop kernel: [   11.525455] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop kernel: [   11.525651] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop acpid: client connected from 1257[0:0]
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop acpid: client connected from 1257[0:0]
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop mdm[1247]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_get_string: assertion 'key_file != NULL' failed
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop mdm[1247]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_free: assertion 'key_file != NULL' failed
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop mdm[1247]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_free: assertion 'key_file != NULL' failed
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop dbus[773]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop dbus[773]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop mdm[1337]: WARNING: session_child_run: Відсутній рядок Exec у файлі сеансу: ubuntu.  Запускається безпечний сеанс GNOME.
Jan 13 07:30:59 drvlas-desktop mdm[1342]: Gtk-WARNING: Ignoring the separator setting
Jan 13 07:31:00 drvlas-desktop NetworkManager[875]: <info> (eth0): carrier now ON (device state 20)
Jan 13 07:31:00 drvlas-desktop NetworkManager[875]: <info> (eth0): device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed') [20 30 40]
drvlas

The solution

Post by drvlas »

drvlas wrote:So here is /var/log/syslog in attachment. At the 261-st line
It seems that the problem emerges when MDM is launched. So I decided to install LightDM instead MDM - and it solved my problem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Error during 1-st start: No Exec in session file [SOLVED

Post by clem »

The problem is quite simple:

- By default MDM selects your last used session
- Say your last session was GNOME or Unity and you kept your home directory intact... well, your .dmrc is still telling MDM to choose the gnome or the ubuntu session.

The solution is quite simple too:

- In the greeter (i.e. the login screen), click on the session button (usually beside the language flag) and choose a valid session.. Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, KDE.. whatever's installed.

If you can't find that button, drop to console, remove your ~/.dmrc file and restart the computer (or the MDM service).
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

From a dev. point of view, note also that we understand the situation can be confusing and we'll take action in MDM 1.8 to automatically resolve it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

/* Ugly workaround for migration */
love the honest statement :lol:
caperash

Post by caperash »

test reply
drvlas

Post by drvlas »

clem wrote:Fixed ... today.
Thank you!

I've never received a notification about the answers to my question. So I found only now that they had been issued.
Once every year I resolve the study Linux :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”