Update to Elyssa via LiveCD?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DapperMe17

Update to Elyssa via LiveCD?

Post by DapperMe17 »

I'm planning to update to Elyssa, from Daryna, via the LiveCD.

I have a seperate /home partition.

I also have a Belkin F5D7000 wireless setup via Ndiswrapper, WPA Supplicant & Wicd, which works great!

Hence, my question...If I install Elyssa with the LiveCD by reformatting the "/" partition & NOT reformatting the "/home" partition, should my "flawless" wireless setup work in Elyssa, as it currently does in Daryna?

This is my first upgrade with the seperate /home partition.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Update to Elyssa via LiveCD?

Post by 67GTA »

The setup you described will be fine as long as you just mount /home, and not format it. The wireless might work depending on the chipset. A lot of wireless cards were broken because of the madwifi modules shipped with the 2.6.24 kernel. Even if it won't work out of the box, we can help you get it going. I would make sure about your card before hand. If you need to download something to make it work, you can do it now and have what you need at hand in case you don't have another connection. Does it work with the live CD?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Yes, I'm sure the LiveCD will work without WPA on, just as Daryna did.

I can certainly turn encryption off, until it's installed. Then, I could re-work the setup. I had hoped to avoid this, but If I have to...I will!

Is there anything special that I need to do with the "/home" partition, when partitioning? Do I need to set the mount point, or is already set at that point?

Thanks
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

When you install, just select "manual". Then you will have to edit each partition to tell the partitioner where to mount them. Tell it to mount your /home partition as /home, but not to format it. If you have the format option checked, it will erase everything. Then tell it to mount your other partition as /. It will autodetect the swap partition.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Super!

...similar to what I was thinking.

Thanks much for your effort & time.

Nice little distro for an older PC!

Return to “Xfce”