Using Shutter as the default screen grabbing tool.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
requiem18th

Using Shutter as the default screen grabbing tool.

Post by requiem18th »

Is it possible to configure shutter under cinnamon? I have tried the keyboard bindings section in the settings applet but cinnamon refuses to give up these keys, it's almost like the printscreen key is hard coded into cinnamon. Please tell me there is a way to use shutter with the printscreen key under cinnamon. Is there?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Using Shutter as the default screen grabbing tool.

Post by ron_h »

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

I agree that PrintScreen and Alt-PrintScreen don't work, but Ctrl-PrintScreen does, on my system.

Ron
krige

Post by krige »

I still can't get shutter grab the PrtSc key nor the Alt+PrtSc shortcut, using LMDE 201403.

In the attempt to replace the default screenshot grabbing tool I have first removed the preinstalled one by running:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove gnome-screenshot
Then I ran:

sudo apt-get install shutter
I have then opened the shutter settings from Edit > Preferences > Keyboard and checked both the keyboard bindings but they still don't work: when I press those key nothing happens.

I have also tried changing the shortcuts from the system preferences. I created two custom shortcuts for PrtSc and Alt+PrtSc, assigning "shutter -f" and "shutter -a" respectively, but it didn't work either.

EDIT: It looks like the Print Screen key is bound to execute "gnome-screenshot" and there is nothing we can do about it.

There is a pull request to fix this bug:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2564
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I have tried the keyboard bindings section in the settings applet ...

For your safety and convenience, some keyboard settings are set/changed under "desktop settings".
(Xfce anyway, probably similar for other DEs).

Just to plug the Wonder of Fluxbox, where changing this stuff is reliable and as completely trivial as it should be:
107 :Exec /usr/bin/xfce4-screenshooter
Control 107 :Exec /usr/bin/scrot

... in the ~/.fluxbox/keys file.

Edit: you could try leaving it set to whatever screenshot program it likes, and hack that into a link to the one you want, e.g.
Change current-screenshot -> link to -> program you want.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bus-error

Post by bus-error »

I have been having the same trouble using Cinnamon 2.0 in RHEL 7. A quick hacky workaround was to rename /usr/bin/gnome-screenshot to something else and replace it with a link to the following script:

#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/shutter ${1:--f}
So:
[PrintSc] launches "/usr/bin/gnome-screenshot" which then launches "/usr/bin/shutter -f"
[Alt]+[PrintSc] launches "/usr/bin/gnome-screenshot --window" which then launches "/usr/bin/shutter --window"

Return to “LMDE Archive”