open office and Japanese input

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

open office and Japanese input

Post by marcia »

Dear All,

I am in the process of helping my niece over the phone to type Japanese in Open Office. She takes an online Japanese class and her next step in the lessons is to type in Japanese. I thought this would not be difficult but so far I have only succeeded to get gedit to type in Japanese after 2 full days of reading, installing, and changing config files. Many people have been having problems in ubuntu getting open office to type in other foreign languages. I just saw that someone said it was a problem of ubuntu's open office and to uninstall that then install open office directly from its site. Before I go that far does anyone know how to get open office to type Japanese? I have combed through many ubuntu and linux mint forums and I only can get gedit to work with the scim gtk manager. The hotkeys do not work at all. I feel somewhat pleased that the scim now works with gedit but I cannot get it to work with open office. I changed configs from scim to scim bridge as suggested and that seemed to get gedit to work. I have anthy, uim, and others installed.

If anyone knows how to do this, I will be very appreciative. My niece and her father want to use linux only from now on. I mentioned running wine with word for them, but my brother wants nothing windows on his machine anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Marcia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: open office and Japanese input

Post by Husse »

Well, gedit is not Open Office :)
It's a fairly basic text editor in gnome so if you open the word processor in OO you may have better luck
But I think scim needs to be installed
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Re: open office and Japanese input

Post by marcia »

Thank you very much for your answers. I finally found some answers and I think it was from a ubuntu archived forum but not sure exactly. I finally got all the scim, scim-bridge, uim, Japanese fonts,etc installed. I installed the language pack above as you mentioned , too. Thanks for that advice. Then it was advised to uninstall the ubuntu open office and to install the latest open office from their site. I did that, too. Had to edit some scim and uim config files, as well. Went to add language support from the menu and chose Japanese.I had to setup the language in open office under options I believe. Finally after all that it works great now in Open office. When I figure out all that I did I will post back and explain it better.

My next challenge is to instruct my brother over the phone how to set this up the same way. That will be tomorrow . I will let you know when we have succeeded and how.

Thanks very much for the help.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Return to “Software & Applications”