OpenOffice.org 3 beta

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

OpenOffice.org 3 beta

Post by awong »

If anyone is finding the current Linux (Mint) version of OpenOffice 2.4.1 very slow, I've just loaded the current beta 3 version from http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/ and surprisingly I find it runs faster. I have created a 52 page odt file that loads a lot of graphics. In the current stable the file actually crashes writer, but with the beta 3 version the file loads and is viewable with minimal slowdowns and I can actually edit the entire document. The file was originally produced in WinXP using OpenOffice 2.1, in case you were wondering how I actually made the file the first time without writer crashing all the time. For me, it is nice to use a newer version of software that does not appear more bloated and actually runs faster than the previous version, especially with Linux.

(My machine specs are a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz machine with 2.0Gb RAM, so perhaps that is why I notice the OpenOffice slowdowns. I've reverted back to Mint 4 Daryna for now due to possible speed issues that newer machines may not have.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: OpenOffice.org 3 beta

Post by proxima_centauri »

On the same subject, have you tried adjusting the memory allocation for openoffice?

Tools - > Options -> Memory

Increase "Use for OpenOffice.org" and "Memory per object".
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Re: OpenOffice.org 3 beta

Post by awong »

proxima_centauri wrote:On the same subject, have you tried adjusting the memory allocation for openoffice?

Tools - > Options -> Memory

Increase "Use for OpenOffice.org" and "Memory per object".
I did not try to adjust the settings for 2.4.1; good idea. However, I noticed that the memory settings were the same for both the current and 3 beta version, so perhaps memory is being used more efficiently in the beta version.

*Update*: I doubled the memory usage for 2.4.1 and it still crashed; 3.0 beta continues to work fine. I'll stick with the beta for now.

Return to “Software & Applications”