Help using Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

Help using Wine

Post by dnmint »

I have downloaded & installed Wine with the sloping glass in my menu.
I dot know or able to decipher what all it can do & how.
For example if I have a window driver for a webcam, can Wine help me working in Mint?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help using Wine

Post by 67GTA »

I'm not quite sure what your asking. Wine implements a Windows API on top of Linux so you can run Windows applications in Linux. It won't let you install Windows drivers to run hardware in Linux.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

How do I configure Wine?
Can it do the same things ndiswrapper does? If so, how do I proceed?
Is there any demo -tutorial on using Wine for whatever it does?
Thanks
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Ndiswrapper and wine are two different things. Ndiswrapper lets you use windows drivers for wireless cards without Linux support. Wine lets you run Windows software in Linux. Wine has nothing to do with Windows drivers. In short, wine is a Windows emulator. Linux will not natively run Windows software. Wine lets you install something like Microsoft Office, or Windows games in Linux. To get it started, run

Code: Select all

winecfg
in a terminal. It will show up in your menu then. Then you can click on a Microsoft executable file(.exe), and wine will emulate a Windows environment and try to install it. Not all software will work. Most people use wine to install and play their favorite Windows games in Linux. You can look at the wine webpage for more info: http://www.winehq.org/ There is also a Wine sub category at the Ubuntu forums with lots of help and tutorials: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
dnmintLM

Post by dnmintLM »

Thanks. I am travlling- on my return I will try.
Can it run Bridgebaseonline in Linux?
:)
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Partially: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ingId=8904 You can search for applications on the wine website, or ask for help on the wine forums. There are workarounds for many wine bugs.

Return to “Software & Applications”