How do I Dual Boot XP with Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I Dual Boot XP with Linux Mint?

Post by lakehousetech »

You can't install windows in the same partition as mint because they are two different files systems (ext3 and NTFS). You can shrink your Mint partition down to allow free space, then take that free space and create an NTFS partition with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

hayz wrote:But once again i could barely get wat i was to do wen i got to the Codes ' sudo stuff! :cry:
Let me put it in simple fact. If you are new to linux system like me, and don't know what you are doing for certain things, it is best to research before doing anything. For dual boot or triple boot, the simplest option is to do it the right order and let OS handle the complicated part for you.

For example, if you want XP/Linux dual boot, the easiest way is to install XP first, then install Linux. The Linux installation will handle the rest for you. Since you have install Linux first, you will have to follow the "sudo stuff". It is not that hard really.

Dual boot partitions is not as simple as you'd like to think, my laptop (the one I type this reply) is Vista (for games) and Mint dual boot. I install Vista first, then Mint, the swap partitions created by Mint is not the best it can be, but it is a lot better than I mess up with partition myself.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Just make sure that you avoid choosing 'Guided Installation' when installing Mint again. Check out the Linux Mint user guide. There may be some good information in there regarding manual installation. I have to read it still. I have been lazy lately.
Fred

Post by Fred »

hayz,

It is very hard for me to read your partition table. Old eyes, small picture. It looks like you have gotten yourself into a difficult place. Please write out your partition table and what you have on each partition. Also which are primary and which are extended/logical partitions.

XP must go on a primary partition. I don't know if you have one left or not.

You may have to do a bit of manual work here in order to not loose your data.

Fred
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Well, first and foremost, any repartitioning or reinstalling any OS involves some risk of data loss. Nothing is more important than creating backups of all valuable data, but since that's not an option just know that there is no 100% guarantee!

While I'm fairly new to Linux (just started in February) but I've been playing with computers since the Tandy tape drive days and I've done a lot of repartitioning down through the years, but I have NO formal training of any sort!

Now, it looks like you have figured out how to use Gparted from the Linux Mint Live CD, eh?

And you're quite new to Mint so you've probably not made a lot of complicated modifications, eh?

And you're reluctant to try and edit GRUB's menu list to make both Mint and XP bootable after installing XP, so I must agree with the previous posts recommending that you remove Mint before installing XP, and then reinstall Mint afterwards.

If I were you, from looking at your screen-shot, I would delete everything but hda1 (your data partition), and leave that new space unallocated (aka unformatted) prior to installing XP. In fact, since your data partition has less than 3GB of free space left, I'd fix that after deleting all other partitions and before doing anything else. I'd go ahead and give at least 8 to 10GB of additional space to hda1. (I'm assuming from what you've said that you already know how to "resize".

A few important notes:
(1) I'm assuming that those small bits of "data" or whatever it is; 64.88MB used on hda3 and 65.07MB used on hda4 are nothing you need (or want) to save.
(2) Deleting all partitions but hda1 will free up approximately 43GB of space. After giving your data partition another 10 GB you could still give XP and Mint each 15GB plus, so make your own decision. (I recommend a minimum of 10GB for Mint and 12GB for XP.
(3) All of this pre-partitioning must be done from the Live CD! A common foible is to not pay attention to the little "keychain" next to a partition. While all partitions should be "unmounted" in a live CD session you may have to right click swap partition(s) and then left click "swap off".
(4) I don't like to "stack up" too many changes in Gparted before applying! In this case I'd delete hda3 and then click apply, then delete hda4 and apply. Then you could delete hda5, hda6, and hda2 (in that order) and apply all three of those changes at once. Then do the resize of hda1 (if you choose to) and apply that!
(5) When I'm all done partitioning I like to waste another 10 or 15 minutes and restart the computer and once again open Partition Editor (Gparted) while in the Live CD just to be sure my changes all took effect.

Once you've gotten through all of that you MUST be familiar with the XP installation process!

You didn't say if this was XP Home or Pro, but these screen-shots are fairly good:

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

This is the scariest part of the procedure! Take special note of step 7 in that tutorial! Now you know why I said to leave the space "unallocated" (aka; unformatted)! Ideally we want to use about half of the unallocated space for XP but honestly at this point the most important thing is that we don't wipe out that data partition, so I don't care if you use the whole darn "unallocated" space!!! (If that should happen we can fix that easy as heck with Gparted and give you some space for Mint!)

Once the whole XP install procedure is done (don't bother with software installation or updates because Windows splatters unmovable crap all over a partition, OK) it's time to restart and see what we have! I sure wish we had a backup of that data partition!!!!!!!!!!

If all is well then we need to run the Live CD again and go straight to Partition Editor. Lets see if we have an unallocated space large enough for Mint w/swap. 10GB or more will be fine, but if XP hogged the whole space, no sweat! Just "resize" the new XP partition (remember I said to leave it "virgin" so this should be fairly quick).

And, well, you've installed Mint before! If you have a data partition (hda1), and an XP OS partition (should be hda2), and an unallocated (gray space) left I would personally choose "Guided - use the largest continuous free space", but ONLY IF you have a totally unallocated space to install to! Otherwise go Manual!

NOTE: Not having a back up of your data really scares the hell out of me. So many things could go wrong it's downright scary!

Please run my ideas by someone else before just doing it! This is what I would do, that does not mean it's the best way!
Fred

Post by Fred »

hayz,

Ok... Thanks much for the larger pics. :-)

Looks like you have deleted all the partitions except the data partition. That is what you needed to do.

Use Gparted, it is in your live cd menu, and create a NTFS partition that is about 20 Gig. Make this partition a Primary partition. Leave the rest of the space unallocated.

Install XP on this partition. Do not allow your windows install to connect to the internet during the install. Boot into Windows but still don't allow Windows to connect to the internet. Disconnect your internet connection if that's what it takes. Install your anti-virus and fire wall software. When you are sure it boots correctly into XP shut it down and reboot your Mint CD.

Create a swap partition that is no more than 2 x the amount of your physical ram. The total of your physical ram and your swap should be less than 3.5 Gig. If it isn't, reduce your swap size to make it so. This too can be a primary partition.

Create an extended/logical partition of the type ext3 for your / that is 8 Gig.

Create a logical partition of the type ext3 for your /home that is 5 Gig.

Create a logical partition of the type NTFS for shared storage that is the rest of your unallocated space.

Close Gparted and start the install routine. When you get to the partitioning part choose manual. Assign the mount points for / swap and /home to the partitions you made for them. Complete the install allowing grub to install to the mbr.

Reboot when completed and remove the cd. If all went well you should see the Mint boot screen where you can select Mint or Windows.

Enjoy!

Fred
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Lets see if we have an unallocated space large enough for Mint w/swap. 10GB or more will be fine,
That means Mint WITH swap. So you'd have 8+GB for the OS and a little less than 2GB for swap.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I don't understand why you cannot backup your data? We would assume nowadays, you'd have a DVD writer with almost any computer. And a removable external hard drive is cheap as chip.

Anyway, just follow Fred's advice.

If I were you, I would backup all those data to DVD first. You never know when the hard drive will fail.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

It could be either you have bad batch of blank DVD (try different brand), or defective DVD drive.

But as I said before, buy an external hard drive, it is dirty cheap these days.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

There are always other options but an external hard drive is the easiest to backup large amount of data. The idea that you wanted to keep them, and yet not willing to back them up before playing around with partitions is very dangerous.

I believe to keep it safe, you need to keep at least two copies in case one fails (it happens more often then you think).

Also, same as flash drive, it is better to unmount flash drive/external hard drive before you unplug it.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I'm sure you can google some. However, it is really simple.

First, you need to have the adapter to connect laptop hard drive to standard desktop (power and interface, be it PATA or SATA).

Then it is matter of connect your laptop hard drive (check jumper setting with hard drives), and power up desktop.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

For example: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 60538.html

It was referring to "old" PATA laptop hard drive (which sounds like what you have).

Keep in mind that the adapter itself is not "cheap", depending where you live, for example: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=17705

For that price, if you pay few bucks more you can buy an external hard drive case that supports laptop hard drive, and it will be much easier to work with.

In my opinion, using an external hard drive is much better for the following reason:
1. Easier
2. You have a backup copy that can be locked away
3. You have a backup drive for you other data

Return to “Beginner Questions”