My first two goof-ups!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kansasnoob

My first two goof-ups!

Post by kansasnoob »

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months, I actually started in February with gOS 1.0.1 and Freespire but quickly found Ubuntu, and being used to Ubuntu my first mistake (after making a few changes such as installing computer temp, abiword, etc) I clicked "Reload" in synaptic and then clicked "Mark all Upgrades".

Oops! All was fine until restart, then I was unbootable. I had to use the Live CD to restore GRUB to my Ubuntu Hardy (I'm multi-booted with XP, Ubuntu, and Mint) just to get booted again, I then reinstalled Mint.

So definitely just rely on Mint update!

Next foible was thinking that startupmanager didn't work after installing it. It does! It just has to be launched from the Mint control center!

Not bad as distros go! I like it a lot!

Very nice look and feel ................. and I love all video just working "out of the box"!

One thing though. It appears that Mint update searches for updates every 15 minutes or so. Why? Probably just something I need to adjust, eh?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: My first two goof-ups!

Post by msuggs »

You can change how often mintUpdate refreshes itself in its preferences

Right click on the icon

Preferences-->Auto-Refresh
Fred

Post by Fred »

kansasnoob,

Only two goof-ups!? You must be a lot smarter than I am. I can't even count the mistakes I have made. :-)

Fred
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Well, if you did not make mistakes, you would not be having any fun, right? :D

Maybe it is just me, but I began learning my Linux basics with openSUSE. You just do not know how much FUN that was! So, I was used to YaST for my system management instead of Synaptic. With Mint, mintUpdate came to me as a natural extension to how the system was updated. The Level 1-5 structure is extremely helpful in choosing how much one wishes to update based on one's skills with Linux.

You should have an extremely excellent experience with Linux Mint if you would consider using mintUpdate with only Level 1 and 2 packages enabled. Also, do not enable dist-upgrade if you want to maintain the highest possibility of stability. I have noticed that many times when someone does wholesale updates via Synaptic that there is a massive potential for system breakage. As you become more comfortable with Mint, you move up in the package levels.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and Linux Mint! Good luck, and have fun!
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

kansasnoob wrote:One thing though. It appears that Mint update searches for updates every 15 minutes or so. Why? Probably just something I need to adjust, eh?
Mine defaulted to checking every 5 minutes for updates! Seems a little more frequent that necessary...
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

It is probably a good idea to adjust the mintUpdate search time to something such as once a day or every few days. I have found the defaults to be much too frequent. Though, to be honest, I usually have my mintUpdate turned off. I turn it on when I feel like checking for updates - usually every few days. This works for me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”