Troubles with subs in .mkv files

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lr13

Troubles with subs in .mkv files

Post by lr13 »

Hi everyone!

Need some help: while playin' .mkv files with subtitles sometimes player shows not only the text but some special symbols (letters and digits). :?:
This bug appears in case of "complicated" subs (when text must be placed in different sides of the screen: e.g. some text at the bottom and some - at the top).
It looks like this symbols are some commands for decoder, like tags in html or xml documents - but i'm not sure.
I have such a problem only with linux players (SMPlayer, Kaffein, VLC), in Windows with K-Lite CP 4.0 all subs are displayed correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Troubles with subs in .mkv files

Post by Husse »

Which version of Mint?
lr13

Post by lr13 »

Husse wrote:Which version of Mint?
Mint 5.0 Elyssa
lr13

Post by lr13 »

The problem was partially solved by enablin' SSA/ASS support in SMPlayer. Now all subs displayed in the right positions, but the player still shows some "tags" like:
0 | 948 0 958 10 958 49
69 10 59 0 49 0 10 10 0
(smth like this).
I've found that this bug apears only when subs contain some pseudographics (frames etc.).
Maybe the problem is in the SSA v.4.00+ (i've read that this version of scripts not supported by older SSA libraries).

???
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think you are on the right track, more here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubStation_Alpha
I have not found this on the (rather few commercial) movies I've watched on Mint (have 2 DVD players) but I vaguely recognize the problem - think I got it all over the place at some time

Return to “Sound”