Can I install XFCE CE on top of normal Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Can I install XFCE CE on top of normal Mint?

Post by Husse »

This is one of the more common questions in the forum
You can add any (?) DE, be it KDE or XFCE or... to your Linux and select which one to use at log in
This does not give you the corresponding Mint edition - it is an operating system in its own right
So you have to dual boot or just use the desktop
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

dagw wrote:While I realize that I can install any DE I want via apt, I was mainly interested in the Mint Specific XFCE configuration. Is there any technical reason why the mint XFCE version cannot be added on top of the main mint version, or is it more of question of no one having done the work? In Ubuntu you can add the Kubuntu and Xubuntu specific desktops via apt. A cursory glance seems to indicate that relativly few files differ between XFCE CE and the main mint version. I'd be happy to take a stab at seperating out these files and seeing if I can create some kind of install that can be added over that regular Mint version, unless someone has a good argument for why it wouldn't work.
Well as of right now you can't even get my .deb packages for the XFCE CE.
Once I get everything set in stone for XFCE CE 5, I will give my packages to Clem to upload to the repo.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

merlwiz79 wrote:Well as of right now you can't even get my .deb packages for the XFCE CE.
Once I get everything set in stone for XFCE CE 5, I will give my packages to Clem to upload to the repo.
That would be awesome! Much appreciated! I'd love to have them together like that.

Return to “Xfce”