Is there a way to installgrub in root partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a way to installgrub in root partition?

Post by locutus »

By default, it seems, Mint installs grub into the MBR of sda1. I would like it put on its own partition on my new laptop. I had it installed in MBR but then Vista wouldn't boot.

Now I have Vista reinstalled and a generic bootloader that's Vista friendly (EasyBCD) and I don't want to overwrite it again. EasyBCD asks that grub be installed in root partition. Is there a way to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Is there a way to installgrub in root partition?

Post by Fred »

locutus,

If you are installing Linux you can specify, on the last screen before it starts to install, where to install grub. The default is the mbr. There is a button called "advanced" I think it's called. Click it and put in the designator for the partition the /boot folder is on. It is usually the root partition of your Linux install if you don't have a separate /boot partition.

Example:

Let's say you don't have a separate /boot partition and your / partition is sda6. You would enter (hd0,5) in the installer instead of mbr.

If you have an existing install that you can't now boot into, use SuperGrub live cd to boot into it. Don't be tempted to fix it with SuperGrub, just use it to boot into the Linux install.

Using the same example as above, open a terminal and type:

sudo grub

root (hd0,5)

setup (hd0,5)

quit

Close the terminal.

You will now have grub installed to your / partition pointing to the menu.lst located in /boot/grub of your / partition.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Thank you Fred. I'm downloading M5 again, will try it when it's finished.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

It worked, thanks again Fred. I haven't managed to connect to my router yet, buy hey, I'm in. One problem at a time, eh?

Is there a wiki page on wireless setup?

Return to “Beginner Questions”