Sound on Laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: Sound on Laptop

Post by rivenought »

First off, welcome to the forum!

Have you right-clicked on the speaker icon, opened the volume control, and then verified that all the sliders are set properly? This is the first step I usually do when setting up a new system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Post by Guest »

Yes I did...I even when to the sound seeints properties, and clicked test and I didn't hear anytghin. All the settings were set to autodetect. I tried changin the settings but still with no luck.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I am going to assume you are using Mint 5 GNOME, but if you are using something different, you need to adjust your searches accordingly.

Well, the next step would probably be to determine what soundcard/hardware you have. Depending on the card, there may be some special settings necessary. Most often, I Google the card and add Ubuntu to the search. That usually provides some tips and tricks from others who have the same hardware/problem/solution.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Just a question, but did you test the sound with the Live CD before installation? If the sound worked with the Live CD, then there must be a package update that broke your sound. If you have your Live CD handy, would you boot into it and test out your sound just to verify and make sure. It only takes a few minutes, but might help target wherein the problem might be.

Also, some people update via Synaptic. This method can break audio or video, as well as update to a new kernel. Updating via Synaptic might be something to reconsider. The regular and suggested method of updating Mint is via the mintUpdate application, and sticking closely to the Level 1 and 2 packages. It is possible that a Level 3, or if you have them enabled, a Level 4 or 5 package may be causing this problem.

I am just tossing out some ideas that might be an easy fix. If it gets more in-depth, you may have to wait for one of the more advanced users to make some comments.

Post by Guest »

The sound didn't work with the live cd, And after i installed it, the first thing I did was check the sound before I did any updates.....

Return to “Hardware Support”