Why two Home folders?...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Why two Home folders?...

Post by tenfoot »

I've done several clean installs of Elyssa out of necessity - see my previous posts - initially without a separate Home partition and then with one.

One things that confuses me is that if one chooses to format only the root partition, leaving the Home partition and Swap as they were, at the end of the installation one ends up with a folder named <user> Home and the original Home partition is renamed to something else. Why is this? In my ignorance I would have thought that as one chooses to retain Home, the partitioner would be intelligent enough to accept that and NOT create another Home. I concede that it is probably something I am doing wrong. If so, I would like to know what it is, please.

tenfoot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Why two Home folders?...

Post by msuggs »

Event though you are retaining the home partition you still need to tell the partitioner to mount it as /home (manual mode). Otherwise /home will be created in the root partition and you'll end up with the scenario you describe.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

omns wrote:Event though you are retaining the home partition you still need to tell the partitioner to mount it as /home (manual mode). Otherwise /home will be created in the root partition and you'll end up with the scenario you describe.
Thank you for a very prompt response. I've now done a clean install and it worked flawlessly.

Don't know how I missed something so obvious. Must be because I'm well past my "use by" date. :oops:

tenfoot
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

tenfoot wrote:
omns wrote:Event though you are retaining the home partition you still need to tell the partitioner to mount it as /home (manual mode). Otherwise /home will be created in the root partition and you'll end up with the scenario you describe.
Thank you for a very prompt response. I've now done a clean install and it worked flawlessly.

Don't know how I missed something so obvious. Must be because I'm well past my "use by" date. :oops:

tenfoot
Hello fellow Aucklander! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”