Burning data DVDs w/ Matshita SW-9585

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WaltH

Burning data DVDs w/ Matshita SW-9585

Post by WaltH »

I have a Matshita SW-9585 DVD-RAM drive that works fine for viewing and reading DVDs and for burning CDs. I currently run SAM Linux 2007, but have been unable to burn a data DVD (except for one time when it worked). The drive initially sees the blank DVD but then has an input/output error and fails to burn.

Has anyone had success with this drive burning data DVDs in Mint or in any other Linux distribution for that matter (please give me the names)? I've tried a different kernel that the folks at SAM Linux suggested, all without success. Thanks for any help I can get.

Walt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WaltH

Re: Burning data DVDs w/ Matshita SW-9585

Post by WaltH »

I gather no one else has this problem. What I don't understand, though, is why a company would sell a machine preloaded with Linux and put in a DVD-RAM drive that will burn CDs but not DVDs. I don't get it. I haven't been this frustrated since I switched from Windows five years ago.

Walt
WaltH

Post by WaltH »

So no one uses this drive in Mint? Does anyone know anybody using this DVD-RAM drive in any Linux distribution? I don't really want to go to the trouble of installing a new distribution and reconfiguring hardware if it won't resolve this issue.

I'm not really in a position to buy a new drive, so I'd like to find a way to make it work if it is possible. If that is not possible, I need to know that as well. Thanks.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I do not have the same drive as you but I do have errors when I burn iso files to DVDs. When I burn an iso to DVD I get an error at the end of the process. The DVD will work fine . I have read that the problem is with verify. I have tried Brasero 0.8.0 but it's options are grayed out for me.

There are a lot of people having the same problems as you and I. You might want to try the newer version of Brasero, you might have better luck than me. Since you are using SAM, you will need to find Brasero 0.8.0 in an rpm download. Here is the change log for 0.8.0.

About this version
Bug fixed since 0.7.91:

- #542545 - Make brasero.desktop follow freedesktop
- #542139 - Brasero can't find a proper cd/dvd drive on Solaris
- #541635 - Build failure againts gtk+ trunk
- #538872 - Brasero crashes with libburn backend
- #529418 - Speed is not displayed
- #508502 – Can't add files from FAT32 partitions
- #507651 – Not displaying drive speed
- #506398 – toc image type not autodetected correctly

New features for 0.8.0:
- normalization plugin
- cover editor
- support for DL DVDs
- automatic GStreamer plugin installation for distros that support it
- new help documentation (by Phil Bull, Milo Casagrande and Andrew Stabeno)
- no more medium ejection before disc integrity checks
- new notification system
- updated most backends to their full capabilities
- updated libburn/libisofs plugins to use latest releases
- mass file renaming/multiple audio track information edition
- fixes to comply with HIG
- some GUI improvements
WaltH

Post by WaltH »

Unfortunately, I already have Brasero 0.8 installed. I was hoping perhaps someone has had success with this drive in Mint. I guess I'll keep trying.

Return to “Hardware Support”