need help setting up 88W8362e [TopDog] 802.11a/b/g/n Wirele

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
usfwalden

need help setting up 88W8362e [TopDog] 802.11a/b/g/n Wirele

Post by usfwalden »

Hello, this is my first post here so if I do anything unoptimally just tell me and I will try to correct and do it right the next time. I already searched and did not find a thread with a solution for me. I haven't used linux since gradschool 6 years ago so I don't remember how to do pretty much anything so please don't assume I understand how to do anything. I need step by step noob instructions.

I just installed Linux Mint Nadia 64 bit and I'm having problems getting the wireless to work.

My wireless hardware from lspci
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88W8362e [TopDog] 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless (rev 03)
I've tried going to control center-system-windows wireless drivers and clicked install new driver and selected the inf for the windows xp 64 driver i found online Marvell Topdog 802.11n/g/b wlan driver 1.0.4.9 (I also previously did the same with the netgear driver I've read of others using before wg311v3.inf directly from the netgear ftp--got the same error and removed the driver in the wireless network driver gui). I get the following error during the driver install: "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found." It then shows the driver in the wireless network drivers gui netmw245 with this driver but underneath it says "Hardware present: No."

I have also done the following in the terminal:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-cache search ndiswrapper-utils
$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

$ cd /tmp/
$ wget ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg311v3_1_0.zip
$ unzip wg311v3_1_0.zip

$ cd "/tmp/WG311v3 V1.0/Driver/Windows XP/"
$ sudo ndiswrapper -i WG311v3.INF

$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
When I get to installing hte ndiswrapper I get the same error as in the gui.
michael@mcLaptop ~ $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
[sudo] password for michael:
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
michael@mcLaptop ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usfwalden

Re: need help setting up 88W8362e [TopDog] 802.11a/b/g/n Wi

Post by usfwalden »

I saw a sticky asking for this so here it is:
michael@mcLaptop ~ $ sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py
[sudo] password for michael:
-------------------------
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
netmw245 : driver installed
* III. querying iwconfig...
eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

* IV. querying ifconfig...
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:e0:b8:d4:4a:0a
inet addr:192.168.1.8 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:b8ff:fed4:4a0a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:50285 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:32072 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:64835132 (64.8 MB) TX bytes:3382102 (3.3 MB)
Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:227 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:227 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:23797 (23.7 KB) TX bytes:23797 (23.7 KB)

* V. querying DHCP...
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service smbd reload

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the reload(8) utility, e.g. reload smbd
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
* VI. querying nslookup google.com...
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Address: 74.125.134.139
Address: 74.125.134.102
Address: 74.125.134.100
Address: 74.125.134.113
Address: 74.125.134.138
Address: 74.125.134.101

michael@mcLaptop ~ $
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

bump...help!

please....
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

To solve "Module ndiswrapper not found" please install ndiswrapper-dkms from Software Manager; you may need a wired internet connection for that.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

Thanks, it did show as uninstalled in the software manager. I clicked to install it in the software manager and it shows it installed now. I rebooted and used intwifi to try to install the driver again and still get the same error about the ndiswrapper module not being found.
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

bump for reals yall. help please.........

pretty please
SilverRain79

Post by SilverRain79 »

I'm having this exact same problem, same adapter... About 2yrs ago I about drove myself crazy trying to get the wifi to work, finally gave up and installed Windows again. But I'm trying to put Linux Mint 14 on my laptop and ONCE again unable to get the wireless working. I too would like some help and if I find a solution on my own I will let you know.
SilverRain79

Post by SilverRain79 »

I'm at a loss, I've tried everything... One of the links I followed says that Ndiswrapper can't use vista 64bit drivers... But the only driver file I can find that's not an exe for this device is Vista 64bit, the xp drivers are all exe's. =-(
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

EXE files can often be extracted using cabextract in terminal, or by running them in Wine, or you can get the driver from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore after installing it on Windows (to find the folder name in the large DriverStore folder, use Device Manager > properties of the device > Show Driver Files).

Also if you use 64-bit linux, then you may need a 64-bit Windows driver - the documentation you saw could well be outdated.

Apart from that, the Netgear device linked has a different Marvell chip. A Windows driver for the 88W8835 may not work on an 88W8362.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

I think my issue is getting confused or ignored now.

I'm still getting the ndiswrapper module not found error after installing ndiswrapper-dkms from Software Manager.

Silver search online for "Marvell Topdog 802.11n/g/b wlan driver 1.0.4.9 " and you should find the driver for windows xp64. I assume since you are using mint 14 64 bit you will run into the same ndiswrapper module not found issue I am though so it won't do you any good till we can resolve that. From other posts I have seen it appears to have nothing to do with our particular hardware but is a problem with the ndiswrapper in the 64 bit version of Nadia with the mate desktop.
Dark Corner

Post by Dark Corner »

I suspect USF Walden has gone out and purchased a new wireless adapter by now, but just in case anyone else is still struggling with this, here is a solution I have found to work. My problem was to get a Netgear WG311v3 wireless PCI card to work under Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) on an AMD 64-bit machine.

The basic process is the same as documented in many forum postings: use ndiswrapper to run a Windows driver under Linux. However, there are two problems. First, there is no appropriate Windows driver. Second, the version of ndiswrapper included with Nadia seems not to work in this case.

The Netgear WG311v3 uses the Marvell 88w8335 'Libertas' chipset, while USF Walden was concerned with the 88W8362e 'TopDog' chipset. Find a driver that is appropriate to your chipset.

Based on my research, Marvell does not provide a 64-bit driver for the Libertas chipset. The same may be true for the TopDog chipset. I located a source for a hacked AMD 64-bit driver for the Libertas chipset: https://sites.google.com/site/subtlegem ... inux-amd64 . Thank you subtlegems whomever or whatever you are. I saved the archive file and unpacked it in a new directory called .netgear under the home directory.

Through trial-and-error, I determined that ndiswrapper 1.57, which is included with Nadia, does not work with this driver on my machine. On askubuntu.com, I found a thread called "How to fix 'Module ndiswrapper not found'" (http://askubuntu.com/questions/213360/h ... -not-found) in which K.K Patel suggested using a more recent version of ndiswrapper. I downloaded ndiswrapper 1.58rc from sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/?source=dlp and followed the included installation instructions.

After installing ndiswrapper 1.58rc, it is a quick matter of opening the Linux Mint main menu and selecting Administration | Windows Wireless Drivers. Select and remove the currently installed driver (which doesn't work; that's why you're reading this). Then click Install New Driver, browse to the location where you saved the hacked 64-bit Windows driver ( .netgear, in my case) and point to the *.inf file.

That's it; I don't think you even need to reboot. Just select you favorite available network and connect.

-dc
tester1957

Post by tester1957 »

Dark corner... thanks for that post... his advice is correct if you are having a problem with ndiswrapper in 64 bit Mint see his post above... version 1.58 works version 1.57 does not... that post should be a sticky... :D
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

Thanks, I will give this a shot. I actually just haven't been using the linux install. Now I probably will.

Dark Corner wrote:I suspect USF Walden has gone out and purchased a new wireless adapter by now, but just in case anyone else is still struggling with this, here is a solution I have found to work. My problem was to get a Netgear WG311v3 wireless PCI card to work under Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) on an AMD 64-bit machine.

The basic process is the same as documented in many forum postings: use ndiswrapper to run a Windows driver under Linux. However, there are two problems. First, there is no appropriate Windows driver. Second, the version of ndiswrapper included with Nadia seems not to work in this case.

The Netgear WG311v3 uses the Marvell 88w8335 'Libertas' chipset, while USF Walden was concerned with the 88W8362e 'TopDog' chipset. Find a driver that is appropriate to your chipset.

Based on my research, Marvell does not provide a 64-bit driver for the Libertas chipset. The same may be true for the TopDog chipset. I located a source for a hacked AMD 64-bit driver for the Libertas chipset: https://sites.google.com/site/subtlegem ... inux-amd64 . Thank you subtlegems whomever or whatever you are. I saved the archive file and unpacked it in a new directory called .netgear under the home directory.

Through trial-and-error, I determined that ndiswrapper 1.57, which is included with Nadia, does not work with this driver on my machine. On askubuntu.com, I found a thread called "How to fix 'Module ndiswrapper not found'" (http://askubuntu.com/questions/213360/h ... -not-found) in which K.K Patel suggested using a more recent version of ndiswrapper. I downloaded ndiswrapper 1.58rc from sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/?source=dlp and followed the included installation instructions.

After installing ndiswrapper 1.58rc, it is a quick matter of opening the Linux Mint main menu and selecting Administration | Windows Wireless Drivers. Select and remove the currently installed driver (which doesn't work; that's why you're reading this). Then click Install New Driver, browse to the location where you saved the hacked 64-bit Windows driver ( .netgear, in my case) and point to the *.inf file.

That's it; I don't think you even need to reboot. Just select you favorite available network and connect.

-dc
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

Actually I haven't changed wireless devices yet but I'm gong to.

I want to get a wireless adapter that:
1)works right off the bat with 64 bit editions of linux mint (would be nice if it worked with all editions really)
2)works right with xp

Unless someone thinks it's a bad idea for some reason or has a better suggestion, I'm leaning towards the
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 633anhmw wireless adapter that I can install inside the laptop replacing the marvell card and using the 3 antennas in my case.
I checked and the intel website does offer current drivers for xp and linux

Is this the card I want?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

usfwalden wrote:Actually I haven't changed wireless devices yet but I'm gong to.

1)works right off the bat with 64 bit editions of linux mint (would be nice if it worked with all editions really)
2)works right with xp

Unless someone thinks it's a bad idea for some reason or has a better suggestion, I'm leaning towards the
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 633anhmw wireless adapter that I can install inside the laptop replacing the marvell card and using the 3 antennas in my case.

Is this the card I want?
The newer intel cards usually perform well with linux
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

The Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 633anhmw has been out since 2011. I'm steering towards it because it is the last one that they provide windows xp drivers for. Also it uses 3 antennas and my case has 3 antennas.

I looked at their 3160 ac dual band and 7260 ac dual band as well, both of which have bluetooth in addition to ac wireless. The 3160 ac dual band uses 3 antennas. The 7260 ac only uses two. Intel doesn't list windows xp drivers on their website for either of these cards though so I"m leaning away from them. I read somewhere that someone was able to use them in xp using the xp driver package downloaded for the Centrino Ultimate-N 6300...but I don't know...at this point I'm pretty leary of getting something else that doesn't 100% for sure have the right drivers. They also didn't mention whether the xp driver package recognized the card right and if bluetooth worked or if they are using the 6300 drivers. The laptop in question happens to be the control for my cnc machining center, runing mach3 in windows xp, so I have no intention of updating or replacing the windows installation any time soon.

Does the bluetooth on the combo cards work in linux?

JeremyB wrote:
usfwalden wrote:Actually I haven't changed wireless devices yet but I'm gong to.

2)works right with xp

Is this the card I want?
The newer intel cards usually perform well with linux
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It depends on other hardware and modules as to whether the bluetooth works as I have had issues on one laptop but not others with the 7260 with bluetooth
usfwalden

Post by usfwalden »

Wow, what a difference.

I installed the centrino ultimate 6300 because it is officially supported in both xp and linux, using the same 3 antenna hook ups the marvel card used. No more confilict with the on board audio in xp, signal strength is WAY higher, and as soon as I booted mint I got a notification that wireless networks are available. Mint set it up automatically; I just had to select the wirless network and enter my pass phrase.

My two cents, for what it's worth, is that it's better to upgrade this particular wireless card than to bother getting it working.

Return to “Networking”