Dial Up with Mint 5.0

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LesterBush

Dial Up with Mint 5.0

Post by LesterBush »

I was wondering if Mint 5.0 can be easily configured to work with Dial Up? I bought a live CD of 4.0 and soon realized that I couldn't use it because it wasn't compatible with Dial Up. If Mint works with Dial Up now, I'll ditch Vista for it. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Dial Up with Mint 5.0

Post by MALsPa »

I have Mint 4.0 installed and am using dial-up with it. There are other threads in this forum that discuss dial-up with both Elyssa and Daryna. It's pretty much the same routine as dial-up in Ubuntu -- google "Ubuntu dial-up" or something like that and you should find all the info you need. If you're talking about only using dial-up while running the the live CD (not installed), can't help you there since I've never tried that, but I thought that should work as well.
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

I'm very new at Linux. Could you tell me like you would a five year old, how to set up a modem to work on Linux? Also, my screen won't properly display Mint 4.0
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

LesterBush wrote:I'm very new at Linux. Could you tell me like you would a five year old, how to set up a modem to work on Linux? Also, my screen won't properly display Mint 4.0
As for the screen problems, I hope you can get some help at these forums.

For modems/dial-up, it's gonna be a bit difficult to walk you through it from here, I think! Well, my first Linux experience was with a laptop that I bought with Linux preinstalled (the distro was Linspire), so all that was taken care of, it was easy to connect.

If your computer is/was a Windows computer, chances are you won't be able to use the modem in Linux. When I started installing Linux on Windows computers, I ended up picking up some external serial modems to use with Linux. They can be found used, pretty cheap (my first one I got free from work, one they were discarding, and the other two I found online, about $12 bucks). Highly suggested for dial-up users who use Linux.

If you don't have an external serial modem, I think you are going to have a very difficult time getting anywhere. My understanding is that a few "winmodems" do work in Linux, but I didn't have the patience to try to deal with any of them.

Seems to me that getting dial-up going with a KDE distro is a lot easier than with GNOME distros like Ubuntu or Mint, simply because the KDE distros I've used already had the application kppp there by default. In Ubuntu and Mint, gnome-ppp hasn't been there by default so I've had to start out with other methods to get online. Kind of a hassle, but in the end it works. But (and don't flame me here!) I think that a distro like Mepis makes it a lot easier for dial-up users. PCLinuxOS is another good one.

Once you know that you have a modem you can use, then getting it set up depends on which distro you're using and which application you're using in that distro.

For Mint 4.0 (Daryna), you should take a look at this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Dialu ... 7ebe9c8ef6

See the section "For Ubuntu, without installing additional software, using NetworkAdmin." This is the approach I've used for Ubuntu and Mint because gnome-ppp wasn't there by default. Once online, I usually download gnome-ppp from the repositories and switch to using that because I like it better. The instructions for that are in the next section, "For Ubuntu, alternative approach (using gnome-ppp)." Things were basically the same for Ubuntu as they were for Mint.

With Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and I presume with Mint 5.0 (Elyssa), some of the things are a bit different. I struggled a bit getting dial-up to work in Hardy but eventually got it, and I'm expecting the same when I finally install Elyssa.

Here are a couple of other web pages you might find useful:

http://www.debianadmin.com/setting-up-d ... buntu.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

This is a subject you're going to have to research and think about. I hope some of the things I've mentioned here will be helpful to you. Getting dial-up to work in Linux hasn't been so easy for me, except (as I mentioned above) my first Linux computer. But it does work once you get things figured out -- I'm using it with Mepis, Mint, Debian Etch, Ubuntu Hardy, and Kubuntu Dapper, and I've used it with PCLOS, and before that Linspire and Xandros. The above web pages provide some good step-by-steps and screenshots for Ubuntu (those instructions also work well with Mint), but don't forget that most people do recommend getting an external serial modem to begin with! Good luck!
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

Thank you for your help. I got the settings for the modem configured under Mint 4.0, but how do I make it dial the connection? On Vista, I go to connect to, then click on my connection, and a box pops up and I click dial, and it dials. I know Linux isn't Windows. I was just using that as an example. Again, thanks for your help.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Excellent! I'm assuming that you used the instructions for the networking option. If so, you should have a networking applet on your panel called nm-applet. Looks like two computer monitors. Click on that applet, select Dial Up Connections > Connect to ppp0 via Modem. If everything's set up correctly, your modem should start dialing. If it doesn't work, post here what happens and we can go from there.
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

I went to this site https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Dialu ... 7ebe9c8ef6 and followed the instructions under the section that said For Ubuntu, without installing additional software, using NetworkAdmin. Is that what you're talking about? Again, thanks much for your help. I really appreciate it.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Yes, that's it! And you're welcome, did you get it working? If you did you can always go and download gnome-ppp later, I like it better myself for connecting to the internet.
LesterBush

Re: Dial Up with Mint

Post by LesterBush »

Ok. I've installed Mint to my computer, and I'm dual booting with Vista. Both are functioning alright. When I click on the connection Icon at the bottom right hand in Mint, I click connect to modem or whatever it says, and nothing happens. I have setup the connection by clicking on the same icon. What am I supposed to select as my port when I set it up. I've been using the first one listed. I've tried others, and it still didn't work. You may be right and my modem may not be supported. How can I find out for sure? Is there something I can download to a USB drive or something and open in Mint? I'm surprised I got it to dual boot. I tried that before, and wiped out Vista. Guess you live and learn. Got it right this time. That's what matters.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I think that /dev/modem is the correct one to choose for an internal modem. At least that's the one I've used in the past, but it was on a machine that was already Linux-compatible. For external serial modems, I've been using /dev/ttyS0.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience getting winmodems to work, so I can't help much there. See anything under "Download / Detect and Configure / Install" at the following page that might help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

The machine I am using does have an internal modem that I don't use, and an external serial modem connected that I am using.

I'm in over my head a bit here, but I followed the instructions at the above page. I went to linmodems.org, then under the "Status" section I clicked where it says "The scanModem tool will help you." This took me to http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/index.html#scanmodem. There under "So what next (aka the real job)?" in the "Use scanModem" paragraph I clicked on "scanModem" and got a dialogue box to download scanModem.gz. I chose to Save to Disk.

It downloaded, then I opened up a terminal and copied the commands from the Ubuntu DialupModemHowto page. Here's what it looks like in my terminal.

steve[~]$ cd ~/Desktop
steve[~/Desktop]$ gunzip scanModem.gz
steve[~/Desktop]$ chmod +x scanModem
steve[~/Desktop]$ ./scanModem
UPDATE=2008_07_31
Continuing as this update is only 1 weeks old,
but the current Update is always at: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il

Identifying PCI bus slots with candidate modems.
Running PCIbus cases
Analysing card in PCI bus 00:02.6, writing to scanout.00:02.6

Please load the candidate driver snd-intel8x0m, with Admin/root command:
modprobe snd-intel8x0m
Then rerun
./scanModem

steve[~/Desktop]$

I would probably be stuck after that if I was trying to figure things out! But continuing on, from the instructions in the output there I did the following:

steve[~/Desktop]$ sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0m
[sudo] password for steve:
steve[~/Desktop]$ ./scanModem
UPDATE=2008_07_31
Continuing as this update is only 1 weeks old,
but the current Update is always at: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il

Identifying PCI bus slots with candidate modems.
Running PCIbus cases
Analysing card in PCI bus 00:02.6, writing to scanout.00:02.6
Using scanout.00:02.6 data, and writing guidance to ModemData.txt
Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt

Writing residual guidance customized to your System.
A subfolder Modem/ has been written, containing these files with more detailed Information:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1stRead.txt DOCs ModemData.txt scanout.00:02.6 tmp
and in the DOCs subfolder:
DriverCompiling.txt InfoGeneral.txt Rational.txt Smartlink.txt
SoftModem.txt Testing.txt UNSUBSCRIBE.txt wvdial.txt
YourSystem.txt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please read 1stRead.txt first for Guidance.

steve[~/Desktop]$

On that first line, adding "sudo" at the front of that command "modprobe snd-intel8x0m" makes it ask for root (administrative) access, so I had to enter my password, if you don't already know about sudo.

Well, I copied what things looked like here, don't know if you'd want to take it further, but I guess if I was doing the same thing here I would have to read the "1stRead.txt" document and the "ModemData.txt" document as instructed at the Ubuntu DialupModemHowTo/ScanModem page, and maybe the other documents that are listed there as well. Maybe you'll have some luck with it. I hope so! Getting kinda complicated for my tastes but you seem pretty persistent so maybe you'll get this to work out.

As for obtaining an external serial modem, if you should decide to go that route: As I recall, I ordered two used ones from geeks.com and it was under $25 for the pair of them. I ordered the 2nd one as a backup. They are BestData modems and they still work fine. As I recall they arrived within a week, maybe only a few days. But also you might be able to luck up on a used external serial modem some other way, like at a computer shop or something. A new external serial modem would set you back a few more bucks. Anyway, there are several sites online where you can find something like that.

But my main point is that every external serial modem I've tried has worked in Linux! Except one old one I had to tweak a little bit before it worked -- a subject for another day, maybe.

Good luck with whatever you do from here! And feel free to keep this discussion going, I'll be interested to see what you do.
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

Okay. I ran scan modem and it generated a ModemData.txt file among others. I don't understand what it means. It seems to me, that my internal modem is Linux compatible, but I don't really know. I tried emailing the address provided, and it was returned to me. I think there are some drivers I need to download at linux.dell.com
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cubby »

I'll share how I do it, but my hardware may be different from yours, as in connection and type of modem.

I'm using Mint 5.0. I have an external modem. My husband bought me two refurbished Best Data modems two years ago. They were 7 bucks a piece. It has a serial port connection. Since then I have upgraded my computer system and the mother board doesn't have a serial port, so I bought a serial to usb converter cable. I also have success with my expensive USRobotics 56K Fax modem with serial connector.

What I do after install is open terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo wvdialconf
it will ask for password, which you will type in, though you won't see anything font-wise in the terminal. Then, click enter.

You will see it finding the modem specs. When that's finished, in terminal type

gksu gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
It will bring up a window asking for your password. Enter that and it will open up the wvdial.conf file in as root for you to edit. Here's a link to a page to show you what it looks like:
http://support.real-time.com/linux/dialup/wvdial.html
He forgets to mention to open the wvdial.conf file as root. Anyway, in the [Dialer Defaults] file, where you see phone, password, username, enter those - example:

Phone = 0000000
Password = nottelling
Username = me@myisp.net

Notice you get rid of the semi-colons and back up the text to the left side of the text file. Then click 'save' and close file.

To dial up, open terminal and enter

wvdial
Edited to add, to disconnect, in terminal hit: (well, you don't hit it, but, you know what I mean :mrgreen: )
Ctrl c

That should get you connected. I suggest you then use package manager to install kppp. You could also install gppp, but it's just a front end grahical user interface for wvdial. I like kppp. Here's how I set it up for my particular system. If your modem connects with just a serial port, then under Modem Device tab, select dev/ttys0. If you're using a serial to usb converter cable, then select dev/ttyusb0. I don't know about other modem types. I set connection speed to 57600. Any higher than that and I cannot connect. That is the default speed for the 56K modem. I also set my modem to PAP. My isp doesn't require CHAP. I emailed them and asked. :wink:

Here's a helpful handbook for KPPP
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdenetwor ... index.html
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

Thank you. I'll try that and post if it works.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I successfully setup dial-up with Mint-5 Gnome for my mother's new PC last night in about 15 minutes. I recommend using an external serial modem. I installed gnome-pp and this makes it much simpler to connect.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cubby »

I've often wondered why GPPP doesn't come pre-installed on ubuntu, but I guess the distro folks haven't deemed it necessary or 100% safe, I don't know? There's lots of us dial-up folks still out there in the world wide web. For me, you can't get any other type of internet access as we are too far from town to get cable or wireless. We'd have to spend 300 dollars upfront, 80 dollars a month, to rent satellite connection equipment if we wanted a faster connection, but that is not feasible and too costly.

If I recall correctly, with Ubuntu feisty fawn I was able to connect using the network-manager utility that came pre-installed, but since then, I can't find a way to use newer versions of N-M to set up an internet connection. It's especially true now that I have a serial to usb connector, as it doesn't have a selection for ttyUSB0. If I didn't have another computer to look up an alternative way to connect in Ubuntu, I would have never found out how to use wvdial - a bit daunting when you're a straight-out-of-the-box Linux newbie.

Maybe I can put GPPP in as a wish-list for Gnome/Ubuntu to come pre-installed. :idea:
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

Okay. Looks like I'm finally going to have to break down and buy an external serial modem. Once I buy this, how do I make Mint connect with it? Keep in mind I have 4.0 Lite. Thank you.
LesterBush

Post by LesterBush »

I've tried all the solutions listed here, except buying an external modem, and none have worked. If it helps I have a Dell Inspiron 530. If I have to buy an external modem I will, but I only want to do that as a last resort.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

LesterBush wrote:I've tried all the solutions listed here, except buying an external modem, and none have worked. If it helps I have a Dell Inspiron 530. If I have to buy an external modem I will, but I only want to do that as a last resort.
My point of view is that an external serial modem for dial-up with Linux is the key. Messing around with winmodems isn't worth the hassle. Even my internal modems that do work aren't as fast as my external serial modems. Just throwing this out there -- you might want to bite the bullet and get one, you might be glad you did.
flon

Post by flon »

This issue seems to affect all Debian "creatures".
I choose this on Sidux foruns:
( http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... alup+modem )
As root, change /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
#noauth
to
noauth
In Mint 4 it worked to me. ('m using 3Com internal modem)

Return to “Beginner Questions”