what the hell?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

what the hell?

Post by NiksaVel »

Somebody explain to me how can they include all these games on a disc they're selling? What about copyrights and stuff?

(http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6136)
Get your game on with SuperGamer-1
Submitted by srlinuxx on Sat, 04/08/2006 - 16:25. Linux | Reviews | -s

I spent my entire Friday and half my Saturday in the SuperGamer-1 livedvd. I'm not a avid gamer as the definition goes, but I certainly love my 'shoot 'em ups'. Gaming in Linux is much easier of late than it once was. Not too long ago it took someone with a rudimentary knowledge of coding (or inhuman persistance) to get some of those ports to work. These last days it's become easier to game in Linux than in Windows. Now all that's required is booting a dvd.

The SuperGamer-1 is a modification of the famous and well respected PCLinuxOS distribution optimized for gaming. It includes 3d acceleration drivers, the underlying pclos system, and several nice games (or demos). It was originally based on P91 and it is still so today. Much of the everyday software included on the disk/iso is beginning to grow a little long in the tooth, but Darin, the shy and quiet developer, states, "this is completely pclinuxos with a few tweaks and can be updated to P92 levels at the very least. The supergamer is completely compatible with all the updates and normal mirrors are used in synaptic...it will update completely to all the new stuff. I will be doing some testing to see how compatible taking the base supergamer up to P93 levels will be." And of course, being based on PCLinuxOS, the infallible harddrive installer we all know and love is also included, as well as the PCLinuxOS Control Center and Synaptic.

Some of the included software includes:

* 3D games: america's army, cube, doom 3, enemy territory, legends, nexuiz, privateer, quake 4, soldier of fortune, ufo: alien invasion, ut2004, wesnoth
* Arcade: BzFlag, chromium, 3d pinball, frozen bubble, neverball, neverput, penguin racer, supertux, tuxkart
* Cards: Pysol
* Strategy: Foobillards
* Kernel: 2.6.13amd64op-smp squash 3 with source and stripped source installed
* Office: Open Office 2
* Misc: Xorg 6.8.2, gcc 3.3.1, firefox 1.0.7, and kde 3.4.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

this ... this is actually quite a good idea, it might very well be the way to bring games to linux and one day attract the majority of computer users to linux...

the fact that you can very easily customize a distro and use liveCDs might very well be the next way to produce computer games... imagine it... a game producer could very easily create a custom distro just for their game and ship it out on a DVD just as they do windows games now... only there would be no need for extraordinary problems with windows compatibility, directx, updates, drivers etc... everything could be set to "just work" on a cd, and we could run computer games by inserting a disc and turning on the computer... similar to the way Amiga used to work or the consoles of today... and when you would want to work you just boot it to regular linux, whichever you might use.

Add to it the possibility to make hdd install of the games for "advanced users" and you've got yourself an utopia :)

The games producing companies might also see this as a good idea because they would drastically expand their target audience from "windows xpsp2 users" to "owners of a computer" as a good livecd can boot of anything...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

that's probably it... and I WAS thinking about that, but it doesn't say demo anytwhere on the ads...

Return to “Chat about Linux”