V4 to v5 ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bkail

V4 to v5 ?

Post by bkail »

I tried to install v 5 - but my PC hung. Luckily I had an old copy of v 4 xfce Daryna. v4 runs OK - But I would like the newer menus, and easier creation of shortcuts I saw in v5 LIVECD. Is there a way I can upgrade to v5 without wipping everything clean? Again, LIVECD v5 install failed - so I think I need some kind of work around to get to v5 from the already installed v4.

Thanks,

- B
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: V4 to v5 ?

Post by miket »

Hi !
bkail wrote:I tried to install v 5 - but my PC hung. Luckily I had an old copy of v 4 xfce Daryna. v4 runs OK - But I would like the newer menus, and easier creation of shortcuts I saw in v5 LIVECD. Is there a way I can upgrade to v5 without wipping everything clean? Again, LIVECD v5 install failed - so I think I need some kind of work around to get to v5 from the already installed v4.
Thanks,
- B
Nope ... there is no upgrade path ... which is one of the major draw backs of Mint at this time ....
Have you tried running the Mint 5 installer in one of the safer graphics modes to get the installation done ?

Mike.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

There will be after the Final comes out.
Not sure how long it will take.
I have to install Daryna XFCE CE and then do the upgrade myself 1st.
bkail

Post by bkail »

AvanceIT wrote:Hi !
bkail wrote:I tried to install v 5 - but my PC hung. Luckily I had an old copy of v 4 xfce Daryna. v4 runs OK - But I would like the newer menus, and easier creation of shortcuts I saw in v5 LIVECD. Is there a way I can upgrade to v5 without wipping everything clean? Again, LIVECD v5 install failed - so I think I need some kind of work around to get to v5 from the already installed v4.
Thanks,
- B
Nope ... there is no upgrade path ... which is one of the major draw backs of Mint at this time ....
Have you tried running the Mint 5 installer in one of the safer graphics modes to get the installation done ?

Mike.
Mike,

The install part goes fine. When I reboot for the first time after the install - the PC hangs on the bootsplash screen. But...my work around was to install Mint 5 Gnome - which is what I am using now. BTW - most Linux distros I am aware of have no clean upgrade path from one major release to another.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

BTW - I was using Mint XFCE before switching back to Mint. Tiny Me is a great distro, but I got tired of the extra steps to create a short cut (desktop launcher).

- b
miket

Post by miket »

bkail wrote:
AvanceIT wrote:Hi !
bkail wrote: most Linux distros I am aware of have no clean upgrade path from one major release to another.
Except Debian ! It works flawlessly from one major release to another ... I've been doing it for years without any problems whatsoever ...
it's just a shame that Mint doesn't follow the same fashion, especially as it is based off Ubuntu which in turn is based on Debian ;)

Mike.

Return to “Xfce”