Level 3 Udates?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxForever

Level 3 Udates?

Post by LinuxForever »

I got my Error 15 problem solved but now I have another problem. I clicked on the little lock icon in Mint 5 and it said there were 84 updates to install. So good so far. I clicked it and all 84 updates are level 3. Clem said not to install level 3 anything because level 3 stuff messes up Mint 5. So what do I do now. Should I install them anyway? Should I do the update from Synaptic instead of the little lock icon?

I discovered with Mint 048 and level 3 updates and changing wallpaper that if I double clicked on the wallpaper I wanted and then single clicked on 2 or 3 other wallpapers and then double clicked on the wallpaper I wanted I got the one I wanted.

Also when I tried to boot FireFox all I got was a window frame and it slowed down Mint a lot and I couldn't get to the main menu so I had to do a warm reboot with the reboot button.

Thankx for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Level 3 Udates?

Post by rivenought »

In the release notes, Clem did say to be "cautious" in updating Level 3 packages. Since he did not say to avoid them totally, and that the option for updating has the Level 3 packages enabled by default, there may not be a massive issue.

Sure, an update could break something. That happens with any distro. I have had YaST in openSUSE go belly-up a couple of times after a wonky update borked it. However, quickly enough, there is a fix from upstream and the situation is rectified - usually in a matter of hours.

The only completely safe thing to do is not upgrade anything that is not already on the CD. Not sure if I want to be that cautious, nor do I wish to throw caution to the wind and enable the Level 4 and 5 packages either. I am leaving the Level 3 updates enabled and cruising as normal. I feel that sticking to the mintUpdater is the wisest choice.

As for the wallpaper issue, that was fixed in a batch of Level 3 updates this morning. As with everything, you must weigh your options. Good luck!
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Thank you very much for your help rivenought. I will install the level 3 updates then.
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

LinuxForever,
How did this go? I have just installed Mint5 and am faced with the same situation. I upgraded up to level 2 but still have a slew of level 3's. Great distro by the way; just learning my way around it and Gnome also. Have used a distro with KDE in past. Must say, I like the layout of Gnome and Mint so far! :D
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Welcome to the forum, firefighter!

If you do not wish to see the Level 3 updates, you can uncheck the boxes in mintUpdate. Then, only Levels 1 and 2 will show up. I have been a tad wary of the Level 3 updates after some reports of breakage, but after researching the Level 3 packages and installing them in small batches, I eventually got everything updated with absolutely no problems. My systems are very basic, so that may contribute to my success. Your kilometerage may vary. Good luck!
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Thanks for the quick reply rivenought! I did what you said when I first updated. I just noticed some things in there (Open Office updates ect.) that were level 3, but didn't want to "break" my newly installed distro right off the bat! I guess I will proceed with caution! :shock:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

My laptop updates to lvl5 and includes Hardy proposed in sources.list. I've had a problem only once, when an update broke xulrunner which broke Firefox3 which MintUpdate interpreted as a "broken package" and automatically uninstalled FF3 to install FF2. A week later, an updated xulrunner allowed FF3 to be reinstalled. I run OO3 on the laptop and absolutely love it.

The "home unit" updates automatically to lvl2 and I routinely allow lvl3 updates. It does not sniff Hardy proposed. It is problem free.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

firefighter wrote:Thanks for the quick reply rivenought! I did what you said when I first updated. I just noticed some things in there (Open Office updates ect.) that were level 3, but didn't want to "break" my newly installed distro right off the bat! I guess I will proceed with caution! :shock:
The updates to be careful with are more the gnome stuff rather than apps like openoffice and Firefox. You should be safe with those. That said I haven't had any problems with any level 3 updates so far on my system.
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Including the Gnome "stuff"?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

As of right now, I have all of the Level 3 updates. The "GNOME stuff" updated me to GNOME 2.22.3. I do not seem to be having any issues on the hardware in my signature below. So far so good. :)
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

I always install the level 3 updates...never had a problem.
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Thank you all for your replies. I will give the level 3 a try. I was just concerned about "breaking" this great distro! :D
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I always install level 3, and very rarely have issues. Level 4 and 5 I'm more cautious with, but I do install those as well. Besides breaking things can actually be a fun learning experience. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”