Topic and Thread Icon Legend

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
proxima_centauri

Topic and Thread Icon Legend

Post by proxima_centauri »

This is a summary of the topic icons and what they mean.

Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, green are read
- A star on any thread means you have posted in it

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky thread
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic that you have posted in
Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Hot topic
Image - Locked thread
Image - Moved thread
Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read)
Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread)
Image - Link forum

Image - Attachment
Image - Go to the latest post in the thread
Image - Go to first unread post in the thread
Image - Subforum read
Image - Subforum unread
sunewbie

Re: Topic and Thread Icon Legend

Post by sunewbie »

can you please explain 'Level', one below the screen name.

I crossed 100 posts and I am on Level 3. I am not an expert, just an End User.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Level 1
Image 0 posts
Level 2
Image 50 posts
Level 3
Image 100 posts
Level 4
Image 200 posts
Level 5
Image 500 posts
Level 6
Image 1000 posts
Level 7
Image 1500 posts
Level 8
Image 2000 posts
Level 9
Image 2500 posts
Level 10
Image 3000 posts
Level 11
Image 3500 posts
Level 12
Image 4000 posts
Level 13
Image 4500 posts
Level 14
Image 5000 posts
Level 15
Image 5500 posts
Level 16
Image 6000 posts
Level 17
Image 7000 posts
Level 18
Image 8000 posts
Level 19
Image 9000 posts
Level 20
Image10000 posts
Level 21
Image12500 posts
Level 22
Image15000 posts
Level 23
Image17500 posts
Level 24
Image20000 posts
Level 25
Image25000 posts
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
jrw45

Post by jrw45 »

I have trouble starting a question on something I have an issue when needing help with a problem. I don't understand the different of use for the terms 'Post', 'Thread', 'Topic' and 'Reply'. I guess you an tell I am a newbie to the protocols for forums. I'll even be shocked however appreciated if anyone answers my questions in a polite manor.

Sometimes I see comments that are totally unrelated to the topic.Some of them may be from me because either 'Post', 'Thread', 'Topic' or 'Reply' was available at that time.

So, if someone would explain in laymen terms how and when to use the terms 'Post', 'Thread', 'Topic' and 'Reply' I would be very thankful.

I am using LinuxMint 11.

Jim
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topic and thread can be used interchangeable. Though the software used to host these forums is using the word "topic", not all forums use this word and some use the word "thread" to mean the same thing.

On forums a topic is a collection of posts, displayed from oldest to newest, on the same subject.

From the dictionary:
  • topic is "a subject of conversation or discussion: to provide a topic for discussion."
  • thread is "a series of newsgroup messages dealing with the same subject."
  • post is "text that is placed on a Web site," or "message that is sent to a newsgroup."
You can start a new topic with the "NEW TOPIC" button on any of the forums here. You give the subject for the discussion in that topic, and you write the first post in that topic. Others can then use the "POST REPLY" button to reply to your post, adding their post to that topic.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hi Jim,

As Vincent said, in simple language,

'Topic' is the 'Subject' - that you see in the forum index.

'Post' is the reply by individual forum member like you and me.

'Thread' is a collection of one or more than one posts. Like Vincent said, some forums use to word 'Post New Topic' or sometimes ' New Post' or 'Create New Thread', all are used interchangeably.

Creating a new thread means you are starting a new fresh Topic. i.e. your post will be the first post. 'New Post' or 'New Reply' or 'Post Reply' does not mean that you are starting a fresh new topic. I feel, 'New Topic' as in Mint forums is correct word then 'New Post'

May I add a few more info

Alternatively, while creating a new Thread i.e. starting a new topic, you can create a Poll like this one. there are some options available, while creating poll. You need to explore them.

Note: While creating a hyperlink, there is an extra step that you need to do after highlighting the test, you want to have linked. After selecting URL from the text editor, you need to add an 'equal to i.e. =' sign in-between the word URL and the closing bracket ]. just hover over URL and you will get tool tip.

Quote Button.

If you want to reply to a particular post, there is 'Quote' button inside the post on the top right corner, before your screen name and avatar (small thumbnail sized photo), like I have (which is optional).

If you hit 'Quote' button, you will be taken to a rich text editor, which contains a name stamp e.g.
xenopeek wrote:Topic and thread can be used interchangeable ...
You can remove unwanted text that you do not want to reply to and continue to type your thoughts. After you finish typing, you can either preview to heck spelling mistakes (typos) or if you are confident, hit the 'Submit' button. You can see your reply as the last post of the thread.

there is another button, 'Inverted Triangle', before the 'quote' button.

This button is called 'flag' or 'report' button. If you find any spam comment or accidentally you have double posted same post, or posted in wrong section i.e. newbie or on topic, you can hit the report button , select the appropriate option from the drop down box and type whatever you want to inform to a mod.

This post goes to a mod, who will take appropriate action and you will get an email message (not in case of reporting spam), if you have selected option to notify you when the action is been taken.

---

You want to refer to older replies, simply scroll down to see the replies arranged in descending order.

---

for your last post, you will also find 'Delete' button, which is self explanatory.

Hope you enjoy Linux Mint and Linux in general.

Hey Jim, Did I sound rude? ;), I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. We understand, everybody starts some day, even I did, but I used to mention that I am a total newbie. that helps to get a polite and better reply. Generally Mints forums are very polite, so needless to say this.

Do not hesitate to ask anything (civil - related to Linux Mint :D ), which does not offend the Forum code.

Enjoy Mint and the company of Minters (mint users)

Cheers
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to "mark" a thread/response so that I can refer/find at a later point?
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

marsh20 wrote:Hi all,

Is there an easy way to "mark" a thread/response so that I can refer/find at a later point?
When you are viewing a topic, at the bottom left of the page are three links: Board index, Subscribe topic, and Bookmark topic. Use the Bookmark topic. You can find the topics you bookmarked in the User Control Panel (link at the top left of each page), here http://forums.linuxmint.com/ucp.php?i=m ... =bookmarks
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

jahid

Post by jahid »

xenopeek wrote: When you are viewing a topic, at the bottom left of the page are three links: Board index, Subscribe topic, and Bookmark topic. Use the Bookmark topic. You can find the topics you bookmarked in the User Control Panel (link at the top left of each page), here http://forums.linuxmint.com/ucp.php?i=m ... =bookmarks
i have bookmarked this topic but going to that link it says "you have no bookmarks". does it take some time to process the bookmarks?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This isn't a regular topic, but a global announcement. It seems those when bookmarked don't show up under bookmarks. Global announcements are show at the top of every forum, so it's always easily found.
jahid

Post by jahid »

i get it now. i have bookmarked another topic. this time it is added to my bookmark....thanks for the information..
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintstant Karma »

proxima_centauri wrote:
- Red icons are unread items, green are read
Got it -- read are unread, green are red.................. :?: :| Wait, that can't be right... red are unred, green are red. :? [turns and walks away, still talking to self] No... red are unred, green are read. Read are unread...

Costello: Who's playing first?
Abbott: That's right.
Costello: When you pay off the first baseman every month, who gets the money?
Abbott: Every dollar of it.

Seriously, thanks for the icon legend, p_c; it was helpful.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

jahid wrote:i get it now. i have bookmarked another topic. this time it is added to my bookmark....thanks for the information..
how do you bookmark topics man :roll:
jahid

Post by jahid »

@zorba
xenopeek wrote: When you are viewing a topic, at the bottom left of the page are three links: Board index, Subscribe topic, and Bookmark topic. Use the Bookmark topic. You can find the topics you bookmarked in the User Control Panel (link at the top left of each page), here http://forums.linuxmint.com/ucp.php?i=m ... =bookmarks
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

I'd like to mark many of my newbie question as SOLVED, but I see no icon to click that will allow me to do that.

Must I re-edit the topic and add the word 'solved' to the title?

Thanks
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

by ES44AC8102 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:51 am
I'd like to mark many of my newbie question as SOLVED, but I see no icon to click that will allow me to do that.
Must I re-edit the topic and add the word 'solved' to the title?
Yes, exactly.

regards,
richy
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

What is Sticky Thread and Why would a thread be locked?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xdicey wrote:What is Sticky Thread and Why would a thread be locked?
Both questions are answered in the FAQ. Find the link to the FAQ near the top right of this page.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Got it! thx
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Return to “Releases & Announcements”