Toshiba Satallite..........really?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Toshiba Satallite..........really?

Post by NoClue! »

I had a co-worker stop by the other day with a shiny new Toshiba Satallite Super Duper Book, had a twinkle in his eye hoping I would set him up with a dual boot linux mint setup. I pulled out my freshly burned elyssa cd, she booted up fine and WHAAAAAT, no wired internet connection........................REALLY? I tried seven distros both old and new with no luck, finally closed it up and told him to take it back and get a different one. It has a marvel yukon ethernet controller in it. Anyone have advice on this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Toshiba Satallite..........really?

Post by Husse »

Obviously a NIC with problems
I found some sort of solution here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/239852
This is not straightforward though - and Toshiba laptops are not Linux friendly - some of them will only boot Vista (well, not quite - but...)
Helmsdeeper

Post by Helmsdeeper »

I just installed Elyssa on my Toshiba A205-S4707 Intel laptop and it picks up my ethernet/wireless. Here is what the lspci command shows me-
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

Hope this helps.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

If it's not one thing, it's another. The toshiba was returned and a sony super hoopty book was ordered to replace it, turns out it also has a marvel yukon ethernet controller but this one works. Now we need a graphics driver for the new intel gm45 cantiga mobile chipset, stuck with 800x600 rez and no effects.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yesterday Intel released a new driver for the GMA X4500
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/x ... 38056.html
This is if you know how to compile a driver...
You could install alien to convert to a deb file - I actually recommend that (also build essentials)
"xf86-video-intel 2.4.1 Driver Released" on Phoronix lead me to the page above
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NjY1NQ
The version in synaptic/apt-get is only 2.2.1 and is installed by default
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Thanks Husse. How do we find out when this new driver will hit the repos? I've never compiled a driver, whenever I do anything in terminal it's usually click n paste. These new laptops are gonna be looking for linux real soon.
Husse

Post by Husse »

when this new driver will hit the repos
Well I'll say as your nick :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

You'll have to check regularly, the easiest way is in Synaptic
Don't forget to click Reload first (the green arrows)
MadOp

Post by MadOp »

Hi,
I´m about to get a laptop with that video card (X4500)... Has the required driver/kernel hit the repos so I will be able to use it? Or should a go for a machine with a X3100 instead?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Hardware Support”