WiFi woes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: WiFi woes

Post by AK Dave »

I see that iwconfig says you have a wireless adapter, so I don't think this is a driver issue.

Looks like you're having a DHCP problem. Is your router correctly configured?

I'm confused at ifconfig. It looks like you have a wired connection active. I find that neither Mint nor Ubuntu can support having both wired and wireless active at once. This may be no more difficult than unplugging a network cable and L-clicking the network icon on your toolbar.

I do recommend, if you have a home router that allows this, disabling DHCP on your laptop and using a static IP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

damnedest thing. Now iwconfig isn't seeing your wlan0.

It detects your 3945, ndiswrapper loads drivers, but iwconfig doesn't see a wlan0.

If you go to Control Panel -> Network you should get the interface to manually configure your networking specs. Usually "roaming" works great. Sometimes you have to hand-code and coddle it. But that shouldn't be your problem, because right now it all hinges on iwconfig not seeing a wlan0.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I would have just had you manually blacklist the drivers one at a time.

Set your MintUpdate to only update level 1&2 updates.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

That card is supported with open source drivers from Intel, and is reported to be a bit buggy with ndiswrapper. I think the first issues was that you have to many drivers installed in ndiswrapper, which caused a conflict, and it still can be a conflict if you have iwl, mac80211 and one more module loaded.

Did you first try to install drivers through ndiswrapper, or did you check if you had a working wireless before starting with windows drivers? Also, take a look at http://intellinuxwireless.org to see the official (Intel) instructions for that chipset.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”