Creating Launchers {Solved}

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jasmac

Creating Launchers {Solved}

Post by jasmac »

Hello all, this is my first try with XFCE and I am liking it so far. I have a question about creating launchers for the panel etc. I have found that to create a new desktop launcher is very easy and the system is very helpful. I am having trouble with adding one to the panel or to the awn taskbar, which is something that I really like to use. In all other systems that I have used you can drag and drop from the start menu to where you wish to create the shortcut, but with this desktop I find that I am unable to do that. This in turn pretty much leaves awn as pointless. I have had success with adding launchers to the panel the biggest problem is finding where the icons are hiding and getting synaptic to launch with root permissions so you can actually add the packages to your system. I have had a look at the awn wiki and both of the methods they say to use to create launchers do not work. If anyone can provide some guidance on this it would be greatly appreciated. Apart from this one tiny matter I think this distro is a real winner. :D

Regards

Jason
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Creating Launchers

Post by Husse »

I may be wrong but I don't think you can drag-drop from the menu in xfce
jasmac

Re: Creating Launchers

Post by jasmac »

Thankyou very much cabjmb6, that worked a treat. Much easier than manually adding each app in and extremely simple. I have not tried it with awn yet as I had to reinstall again because my playing around got a bit out of hand, but I will give it a go as soon as I get awn up and running and I will post back with the result. I will mark this one solved. Thanks again. :P

Cheers

Jason
Husse

Re: Creating Launchers {Solved}

Post by Husse »

Thanks cabjmb6
That seems to be a nice trick :)
jasmac

Re: Creating Launchers {Solved}

Post by jasmac »

HI again, I have reinstalled awn and can tell you that it does not work for creating the launchers. Although once you get the hang of creating a launcher it becomes easy, that said drag and drop is a lot easier.

Cheers

Jason

Return to “Xfce”