Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Post by iironjade »

Do any of the many dvd authoring/ burning applications available in Linux have a way of reducing the image quality so that a 3 hour video can go on to a 2 hour disc?
The Windows version of Nero does it but not the Linux one (which may explain why it's so cheap) and so far none of the native Linux apps seem able to do it. Am I missing something or is a separate application (assuming one exists) needed to do this? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Husse

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Post by Husse »

You could google for
mp2 converters linux
ffmpeg is a command line tool that should do it and there are more - lame perhaps
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Thanks, I'd about given up hope of anyone suggesting anything. It's the only major snag I've found with Linux so far. :)
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

drizake wrote:Install Devede from the package manager. It creates DVDs from a variety of video file formats and allows you to adjust the quality to fit the disc.
I have DeVeDe and I've used it a lot but I can't see any way of altering the quality. What am i missing? :?
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I'm a bit late here since you've found a solution, but I thought I'd throw another name at you. Take a look at K9Copy. It rips and shrinks to your size preference all in one simple operation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

iironjade wrote:I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D
Am I missing something ? DVDflick seems to be for windows only ?
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

solar1951 wrote:
iironjade wrote:I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D
It works under WINE but not fully. It doesn't recognise my dvd burners or create menus and it looks horrible but, amazingly, it does exactly what I want. :D
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Lantesh wrote:I'm a bit late here since you've found a solution, but I thought I'd throw another name at you. Take a look at K9Copy. It rips and shrinks to your size preference all in one simple operation.
Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't figure out how to do it with K9Copy or indeed, any of the others. DVDFlick however, did just what I needed with a minimum of fuss. :D
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

iironjade wrote:
solar1951 wrote:
It works under WINE but not fully. It doesn't recognise my dvd burners or create menus and it looks horrible but, amazingly, it does exactly what I want. :D
I use Tovid suite of scripts. You can either use the GUI Tovid GUI fancy (todisc) which will create fancy menus to your hearts content and if you go to the "General" tab and then "Custom tovid options" and type "-ffmpeg -fit 4300" - without the quotes - it will use ffmpeg to recode your video and calculate the frame rate to fit to a 4.3Gb DVD

Tovid is available from the Ubuntu Hardy repos via synaptic.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Thanks.I did look at Tovid which I installed during my quest but couldn't see how to adjust the quality settings. How did you find out how to do it? There doesn't seem to be a manual anywhere. :?

Return to “Sound”