Buffer i/o error on device fd0 logical block 0

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

Hello,
I am trying to install Linux Mint 5 over a machine I built last fall and had used Mint 4 on. I have gotten the "Buffer i/o error on device fd0 logical block 0" error while trying to install from live CD. I've burned another dvd, and I've used the drive from my dual boot machine to install, fails there too.
I've disabled floppy drives in bios(Once I disabled the floppy, I got into busybox... I'm not familiar with it- but come up with an ata error now), I've pulled the drive and flashed it to new firmware I got from the manufacturer on my dual boot machine. I've gone so far as to download an alt install cd for ubuntu, and thats fails also. I'm scratching my head, Mint Daryna installs just fine, but Elyssa doesn't work. The drive shouldn't be an issue since it's the same make and model and firmware as my dual boot machine, and Elyssa works just peachy on it. I've been googling and no answers

I've read some folks saying that there is an issue with the kernal not working well with SATA drives(which I have on both machines on all drives optical and hard).
I'd really like to get this machine working with Elyssa, I'm dialing it in for a good friend, and the kernel on Elyssa is the only possible explanation(to me at least-but I'm an amateur- maybe it's in busybox?). Is there a new kernel release that solves this? Any help on this would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Buffer i/o error on device fd0 logical block 0

Post by Husse »

has something to do with the floppy as the floppy is fd0 but I've seen some strange solutions to this
Don't find them now but search the forum for the entire subject or parts of it
But first have you checked the md5sum and burned slowly?
Check the troubleshooter for some advice on options at boot
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

I did a MD5 check, but didn't burn slowly(I used the first disc from when I installed Elyssa on my dual boot machine), I'll give that a shot. I'll check that link out, thanks for your help.
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

I tried using a slow burnt dvd, and no luck. The furthest I got was busy box, but got a "ata failed to identify I/O error err_mask 0x4" this time. I searched that fault and checked the connections at the drives and motherboard, and even changed which socket my data cables plugged into. I changed the data cables out with known good ones also, and still no luck. I still had no issues with Daryna's live CD(well, dvd in my case) booting. I double checked to make sure that I was booting from my optical drive first, in BIOS. I appreciate the input, I'll just stay with Daryna for now.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll just stay with Daryna for now.
Yes - there is no need to change for the time being
I'll look into this - I have a hunch...
Husse

Post by Husse »

hmm - there is some similarity with the problem discussed here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
but there is no solution for you in there
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh - did you try to install in compatability mode?
(Just press any key during count down to get the option)
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

Yes I tried that one, also, I spent 6-7 hours trouble shooting just this one problem last Sunday. I'm still interested in finding a solution though, as I like Elyssa, more :D .
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

hm weird, I just answered a question on Yahoo Answers today that dealt with the same problem:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... gea8RhvYaa

It's just a thought, but I have an old computer that gives me weird errors when I try to install Linux Mint from a DVD. Have you tried using a CD?

Just had another idea, have you tried upgrading from Daryna?:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php ... structions

It's probably not the best way to get Elyssa, but if it works...
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

Nah, I posted that before, I had disabled that in BIOS. It's running Daryna fine now, and I don't really don't want to spend another entire weekend on it(one of those nightmares that wont go away, lol). One thing I did not post before was that the hard drive did have Daryna installed before on it. It's my loaner machine(I re install the OS when someone else wants to use them), but most of it's hardware is pretty current, only thing thats really been used on it is the CPU, memory, video card and power supply. Those are 2.5 years old, while the rest of the hardware like the motherboard, and drives, where bought new last Oct. The machine has maybe 6 hours(not counting the time I spent troubleshooting it). The only thing I have not tried is installing from USB or network. I have a 4 gig USB drive, and I have a USB cable with two male ends, not to mention I have some cat 5 cable laying around. I'd have to check when I get it back to see if I can boot off the USB. Is there a tutorial to boot off USB thumb drives for Mint? I've been playing with Linux since last Oct when I saw a eye candy video on youtube. I'm not a total newbie, I own a few Linux books now, but I have a lot to learn still. Thanks for the ideas, and advice though. I'm still searching.

System specs

AMD 3700 socket 939 CPU, 1mb L2 cache-single core
Asus A8V ATX motherboard, VIA chipset (there was a micro atx version also available-this is a full ATX form factor-week after I bought the motherboard-the retailer stopped stocking Socket 939 motherboards)
2 gigs of DDR400 ram
Samsung 250 gig, 8mb cache hard drive, SATA2
Samsung 20x dvd burner, SATA interface
Hipro 300wt PSU
MSI 7600gs video card 256mb ddr2, Zalman VF700(I think thats the model #-not that it matters)heatsink and fan.
Encore RT-2680 chipset N draft networking card
Husse

Post by Husse »

I immediately see that the PSU is a bit on the low end
How many amps does it give on 12V?
It simply may be on the margin there
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ j1111c
There may be lots of info at Ubuntu but we have had very few instances of this problem in Mint, a handful at most
Husse

Post by Husse »

I seemed to have said something that you did not like.
You misunderstood me
What I meant was that with so few problems of this kind in Mint it is probably not relevant to find a lot in the Ubuntu forums
But if you and the other guy here have the problem it's beginning to be a crowd
I've googled for the subject and there are lots of hits, mostly Ubuntu but not only and not only Hardy but Feisty and Gutsy and other distros as well. One solution I've seen is to blacklist the floppy driver - not easy when you boot the live CD
Adding a nofloppy parameter in boot - append it to the boot line should help
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

heres a crazy thought.

I don't know if it will work, but have you tried putting a blank floppy disk in the drive,
then trying to install??

I had to do this a while back not with Elyssa (don't remember which version) but it worked.

Cheers,

Deadguy
DSpencer

Post by DSpencer »

Try the kernel option "acpi=off'.
This seems to overcome (resolves) a myriad of perplexing issues with many (all?) linux distros (and in fact PC-BSD as well).
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) actually affects many parts of the computer hardware not just hibernation, going to sleep, powering down components, etc.
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

deadguy wrote:I don't know if it will work, but have you tried putting a blank floppy disk in the drive,
then trying to install??
This system doesn't have a floppy drive.
DSpencer wrote:Try the kernel option "acpi=off'.
This seems to overcome (resolves) a myriad of perplexing issues with many (all?) linux distros (and in fact PC-BSD as well).
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) actually affects many parts of the computer hardware not just hibernation, going to sleep, powering down components, etc
I tried those also to no avail. Husse posted a link to that earlier in the thread.

I don't have a spare power supply, but that power supply was what came with the system originally, functioned well when I had more PCI slots used, in addition to the video card. Only thing taking power off the power supply is the motherboard (24pin ATX and 4 pin cpu), two drives, and 4 fans. The video card does not have a separate 6 pin power input, like what my 8800gt has on my current machine..
Husse

Post by Husse »

300 Watts is unfortunately low these days, especially the 12 volt rail(s) can get overloaded
I think this bug report in launchpad sums it up
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/97306
This happens because casper (in the initrd mountroot() function) looks for the live CD on all block devices, including the floppy drive (somewhat unnecessary).
Try the "floppy=off" boot option or all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

I'll give that a shot this weekend. My friend has it (the system, he's the user I intended to set it up for), and loves it so far on Daryna. I'll try out a power supply later. I'll bring my multi-meter from work home, and check the rail on the power supply, just to be sure.
Husse

Post by Husse »

ohoh
I just remember that there is another topic about something similar and it was solved by changing the video card
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=16000

Return to “Installation & Boot”