A little help with the wiki - link on the main page

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm completely new to editing a wiki. I have written about the Live CD as promised in the forum but I don't find out how to publish it. It's only on my personal page and I don't find anything there named "Publish" (or the like)
Now I've managed to save the new topic outside my profile - but how do I get a link to that page on the main page?

Note - it has its ups and downs not being a native english speaker - had to edit this post a bit extra.....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Good Evening Husse,
Links to the home page etc, and Wiki were added to the top of the forum page as I can see.
Take a look at something I have posted in the Wiki : Navigation>Help
and/or Community Portal. Click on the Discussion tab above, then you can start your personal page there.

IMHO, that is how it can be done.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi npap
You can find my article here http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
It beats me how I put a link to it on the main page.
I thought there would just be a link to "Publish" in the editing section. This way we can contribute to the documentation. You should consider getting your contribution there the same way as well.
Perhaps the link "Help" should leed to a collection of links to different help pages linke my Troubleshooter? (and not to some specific help as now - it should in this case be put on a seperate page and linked to)
Or we could put links under "Other"
I think it's rather confusing :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello Husse,

I am more confused about where the proper place is to 'publish' one's article. :)
That is because it is the first time I have used a Wiki.
Anyway, maybe Clem will be kind enough to give us some details, when he finds the time.
Your article is well written,BTW. I posted some articles myself not being sure that
I was using the right pages.

Well, never too late for me to learn. :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Guys,

There are two places in the Wiki to start from:
- The main page
- The Community's Portal.

The main page is protected an only devs can modify it. The community portal is fully open for anybody to modify.

Please create a wiki account, go to the community portal http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ity_Portal and start using it as the community's wiki main page.

Clem.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

WIKIMINT

Post by npap »

Good work here. Husse has done a very good job organizing the Community Portal.

Edit. Husse, can you please move the lists of Tips and Tricks as well as the lists of Books etc so that they may be more easy to access? Or make links to them in the main Community Portal page?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I didn't move it, clem did. Editing a wiki is obviously new to us so the confusion is uderstandable.
I have more to add, converting a few more how tos and writing a new one - it's good to feel the inspiration flow :)

Return to “Open Chat”