Speed of XFCE vs Gnome

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bwg
Level 2
Level 2

Speed of XFCE vs Gnome

Post by bwg »

I had Kubuntu Hardy installed on my Thinkpad T30. I added XFCE CE to the hard disk. I allowed the prog to auto-part and install XFCE CE. It seemed to me that Kubuntu ran a little faster and smoother than Mint Xfce. My only benchmark was the speed at which mc running on a terminal would speed through the tree when I held the arrow button down (not very scientific - :) . The only thing that I could guess that was causing this was that the Mint XFCE partition was a logical partition and not a primary. And it was near the end of the drive.
I than did a clean install of Mint Linux (gnome) and it runs much faster than the xfce did (once again I used the midnight commander benchmark). I have since installed xfce4 meta package on top of Mint, and it seems to run very nicely.
Would there be any advantage to re-intstalling xfce ce to replace xfce running on gnome.
Thanks
bwg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Speed of XFCE vs Gnome

Post by merlwiz79 »

I don't get how you are benchmarking?
One you are using 2 different terminals.(gnome-terminal & xfce4-terminal)
This means the terminals aren't using the same settings.

Also the way I test XFCE is to install on a USB hard drive.
Even with it on a USB hard drive, it's as fast or a little faster than my Gnome install, on my internal hard drive.
I played a couple of games without any lag, even being on the USB drive.(nexuiz & urban terror)
bwg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwg »

Sorry about the confusion. While using midnight commander (I used both terms with pretty much the same results) if you are in the root dir and hold the down arrow, the cursor will travel down the tree. For me it traveled much slower on xfce on the logical partition. In gnome on the first logical partition the same test (on either term) the cursor flew down the tree much faster, I suppose because it could access the hdd quicker. I could not notice any other speed differences. Also I am hesitant to test on usb because did I mention my Thinkpad is a T30...usb 1.1
bwg
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

bwg wrote:Sorry about the confusion. While using midnight commander (I used both terms with pretty much the same results) if you are in the root dir and hold the down arrow, the cursor will travel down the tree. For me it traveled much slower on xfce on the logical partition. In gnome on the first logical partition the same test (on either term) the cursor flew down the tree much faster, I suppose because it could access the hdd quicker. I could not notice any other speed differences. Also I am hesitant to test on usb because did I mention my Thinkpad is a T30...usb 1.1
bwg
I wasn't telling you to test on USB.
I was just saying it would be much different if my install was on the internal hard drive.

Return to “Xfce”