USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
automouse13

USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Post by automouse13 »

I installed Linux Mint 13 MATE on my HP laptop and everything works fine except that my Sandisk 32GB flash drive is not recognized. There is nothing wrong with this flash drive because it works in my Windows 7 partition, with my friends notebook also with Win 7 and a MAC desktop. I have tried formatting the drive but still to no avail.

I appreciate in advance any help I can get.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint

Post by remoulder »

automouse13 wrote:tried formatting the drive
With what filesystem. Why do you say it is not recognized, have you checked the output of lsusb with the drive inserted?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
automouse13

Post by automouse13 »

The flash drive is formatted with FAT32 and when say not recognized it's just that. I plug in flash drive and the activity light flashes but the drive never comes up in the file manager. I'm not sure what LSUSB is. Thanks for your help.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

automouse13 wrote:drive never comes up in the file manager
This doesn't mean it's not recognized only that it's not mounted. If you plug the drive in then open a terminal, type lsusb (lowercase) and press Enter, it will list all the USB devices seen by the system. If your drive is listed then it's recognized but may not be mountable. In that case try opening Disk Utility if it's in the menu, the drive should be listed there and you can mount or format it.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
automouse13

Post by automouse13 »

I did the LSUSB thing and I did see my flash drive listed there. So next I went to the disk utility and reformatted the drive then mounted it from there. It worked. Now when I insert the flash drive if I wait about a minute it will pop up in the file manager and I can mount it from there. This works for me and thanks for you help.
Naiorino

Re: USB flash drive not recognized in Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Post by Naiorino »

Hey guys so my usb ports havent been working for a while even when i had windows installed on my emachines e725 i just put a fresh copy of mint 16 on it via dvd and what do u know, none of my flash drives are recognized in here either :evil: . what can i do? are the ports broken? how can i see if my computer sees the ports at all. im VERY new to linux and could use the help. thanks!

:wink:
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Naiorino wrote:Hey guys so my usb ports havent been working for a while even when i had windows installed on my emachines e725 i just put a fresh copy of mint 16 on it via dvd and what do u know, none of my flash drives are recognized in here either :evil: . what can i do? are the ports broken? how can i see if my computer sees the ports at all. im VERY new to linux and could use the help. thanks!

:wink:
Hi Naiorino,
You should start your own new topic for this. Most people skip by the old ones marked "Solved" already and will not realize that someone new is asking a question. When you start your new post, plug a USB into one of the ports, wait 15 seconds, then open a terminal and enter the following:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Provide a copy of that output as part of your new post.
asponia

Post by asponia »

Pen Drive is not responding in Linux Mint 15
lsusb O/P.
Busn 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:a014 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0cf3:3005 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR3011 Bluetooth
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade

And update problem
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
Please help me to resolve the issue ??
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi asponia;

have a read at the post above: over a year ago, it was suggested to that good soul that they start a new thread; and this one be closed ...............

.......... it would be best for you to copy what you have posted; and start a new thread .........the title of this one is SOLVED ................ ideally it would have been closed .........

........ folks will want to help you........... do start your own new thread

Return to “Hardware Support”