Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
hotweiss

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Post by hotweiss »

Great job, everything works so far. Surprisingly Flash videos play perfectly full screen.

Just one question, how do I enable the Bluetooth application?
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I have just installed Elyssa as dual boot on both my Desktop & Laptop,
My use is mainly, Mail, Chat, Drafting Word, PPS etc fo teaching purposes. I listen to Music on my computers - notmuch Video watch.
Do I have to change this version XFCE or get along with what I have already which is working well for me.
Thanks for any advice.
Insane1 (Not Logged In)

Post by Insane1 (Not Logged In) »

Lolo Uila wrote:Nothing happens, and that control panel [Enable/Disable] button gives no indication if it actually did anything. There should be more feedback.
I personally agree closely with this. The control panel "Enable/Disable" buttons should have some sort of way of showing if they are currently in an enabled or disabled state. I feel very uncomfortable when I use the control panel and have no idea if clicking the button is enabling or disabling the option, with both the compiz options, and others such as the LCD fonts.
addicted

Post by addicted »

Any news about the progress so far?
netter

Post by netter »

Hello

I'm a newby to Linux - skint Mac (that blew up) user.

I've got a Dell 4550 and I want to make it as Mac like as possible. If any of you know Mac then OS 8.6 was absolute heaven for me!

I'm now going to ramble - hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Being Mac like means that it installs easily, and does everything out of the box. It also has to look good, or be easy to make so.

In the last year I've tried Suse, Fedora, (K)Ubuntu, PCOS, Mepis and on live CD's quite a few others!

All are good, but for a lightweight like me, they've needed too much command line stuff to make or keep them working.

For the last few days I've been running Mint - I LIKE IT - sorry for shouting.

I've also got GOS on another partition, which does look better, but I'm spending 90% of my time in MINT.

Thank you all very much.

I've only had one very minor problem where after I've had Firefox open for a long time it, sometimes won't play videos - not major cuz restarting it cures this problem. Or as we Mac users would call it 'a feature'!
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

The only problem that I am now having with Flash is the old problem that occurred with the original Flash 10. Flash 10.0.0.d525 is still causing some web pages with Flash video to produce blank boxes where the video box is supposed to be.
addicted

Post by addicted »

2 days have passed and not a word about the XFCE release? What's going on? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

addicted wrote:2 days have passed and not a word about the XFCE release? What's going on? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!
It's on the Home page: http://www.linuxmint.com/start/elyssa/
With a link to here: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=227
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Me also, I am very impatient to test the final release of this XFCE! Hurry up, my old PIII 650 Mhz is waiting ! :wink:
rfpa

Post by rfpa »

Will it be necessary to download the new iso or it just requires an update of the current beta 025?
jasmac

Post by jasmac »

This is my first try at an XFCE based distro and I am impressed. That pretty much makes it a clean sweep for me it is Mint all the way, no more XP. I believe that the developers of each of the different Mint distros produce the best and most stable linux distros I have tried, and I am what is know as a distro junkie. I think I have tried just about it all but always Mint is there as my base and it always will be. Very, very nice work. Everything works perfectly well and quickly, and as is the standard is very easy to set up. I especially like the intuitive help with creating a desktop launcher, would like to see it work the same for the panel. Again great work I love it.

Jason
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

If I start my laptop with WiFi activated (and Etho connection plugged in) the Internet connected is established via WiFi. If I turn the WiFi off I lose the connection and cannot bring up network management by clicking the tray icon. Opening XFCE 4 Mintconfig and Networking doesn't allow the wired network to be connected either. My only solution is to reboot, seems unnecessary.

It would be nice if the system connected to the fastest of the available connections with manual overide.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

oliverjames wrote:If I start my laptop with WiFi activated (and Etho connection plugged in) the Internet connected is established via WiFi. If I turn the WiFi off I lose the connection and cannot bring up network management by clicking the tray icon. Opening XFCE 4 Mintconfig and Networking doesn't allow the wired network to be connected either. My only solution is to reboot, seems unnecessary.

It would be nice if the system connected to the fastest of the available connections with manual overide.
Setup wicd to use wired as the default profile, so it uses it instead.
drpucico

Post by drpucico »

rfpa wrote:Will it be necessary to download the new iso or it just requires an update of the current beta 025?
I quote rfpa...
I'm waiting for the new Elyssa XFCE final!
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

"We're planning to release the stable version of this edition in two weeks"

Do you have any idea when the stable version will be ready for download?
It's almost four weeks now. ;)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There is one bug remaining and it is being worked on. I have faith in merlwiz79's ability and am certain your patience will be rewarded with a very high quality release.
alanmzifa

experiencing 2 problems

Post by alanmzifa »

I've installed the beta over Mint 5 Gnome on a 700Mhz PIII laptop in the hope of more speed.

A couple of problems I've encountered so far are that it's slower than the Gnome version (and a noticeable lag on the desktop, whereas Gnome desktop seemed to give an instant response) and the other is that it can't see my printer (connected to my main XP box). It only sees itself under MSHOME (which I've never experienced before) and not the desktop that the printer is connected to, when I browse to connect through Samba.
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

Hello all,

Just finished downloading a few hours back and installed Mint 5 XFCE now. It is just COOOL! 8)

It seems to be the best distro I've ever installed... I 've installed right from Slackware, Redhat, Suse, Debian to the later desktop oriented ones like Goblinx, Zenwalk, Dreamlinux etc. of which Dreamlinux 3.0 is which I was using till now.

The speed of the system is nothing to write home about... but its fine. But my system is also old... 533MHz & 192MB.

Thanks to the Mint developers and the community, for building such a smart & lightweight distro. :D

And will definitely come back to post bugs, if any, so that the final edition could come out with no / minimum issues.

Happy Minting!

Zaheer.
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

Just got three small bugs:

1. When trying to change the wallpaper, in the file selector window, the up arrow key doesn't work.
2. I auto-started the Calendar app. in the Office sub-menu, but it pops up every time I restart it, even though I gave it the option to start it hidden.
3. I installed Real Player, every thing went well and the player was installed. But the command was neither in the $PATH nor is the shortcut in the Multimedia sub-menu. These two happens when Real Player was installed manually in my previous distro.

I have a feel that I will have to come back again to post new bugs... :(
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

I went back to my old Mandriva 2008.1 XFCE installation to check the boot speed... Boy! the desktop / look & feel is even 'cooler' than Mint's. But of course, Mandriva in no where in comparison to Mint when features are considered. :wink:

And boot speed on my system with PIII 533MHz & 192MB RAM, just for reference, is:
Mint 5 XFCE - 2min.
Mandriva 2008.1 XFCE (presently installed) - 1min. 50sec.
Dreamlinux 3.0 (presently installed) - 1min. 40sec.
Windows XP (had previously) - 45sec.
Zenwalk 2.8 (had previously) - 35sec.

Zenwalk 2.8 GNU/Linux was the fastest GUI OS I'd ever installed on my 533MHz & 192MB PC. Blazing it was, faster than even Windows XP. I don't remember the Zenwalk 5.0 boot time... if I had that, it would have been a more appropriate comparison. All these boot times were with the default services / daemons (almost the same) running. And these were observed from the bootloader prompt to the desktop completely loaded. And I would request for a tolerance of +/- 3sec. in the timings, not more than that.

However, once Mint 5 XFCE is booted to the desktop, things are much better, and task response is very good. :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”