broadcom driver

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
what

broadcom driver

Post by what »

hello i am a noob to linux and have been trying to to setup my Broadcom wireless for a couple of weeks now. after scouring the net & trying many options with no luck i figured i should try just asking for help. i have an HP Pavillion dv2736 laptop with a Broadcom 4310 chipset. I am trying to run Linux Mint 5 XFCE version. I went to my menue in Mint to System>Windows Wireless to to install my driver. i am trying to use bcmwl6.inf for this install. the windows wireless window shows that the hardware is present & i made sure wireless was enabled under the hardware drivers screen. the bcmwl6 folder is present in /ect/ndiswrapper but when I use ndiswapper -l no drivers are listed. I read that Broadcom must have firmware to work and the only solution i can find is to use fwcutter. but from what i understand fwcutter & ndiswrapper don't play nice i would like to stick with ndiswrapper because i read it is more stable than fwcutter. as i said i am new to this so please assume i am doing everything wrong. thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
what

Re: broadcom driver

Post by what »

Thanks Alex. Don't I have internet access of some kind already in place for fwcutter to work though? I'll give it a shot and see what comes up. If their are any other pointers please let me know.....PEACE.....
what

Post by what »

OK.... I tried the fwcutter.deb package & it tried to dl the firmware I need. The cool thing is that it gave me the link when I clicked on the terminal arrow so I copied it & downloaded what I think is the firmware when I rebooted into Vista. Is there a way to manually install the firmware?
what

Post by what »

I might have to figure out how to get on dialup for now so I can fix this. ndiswrapper now shows that I have the driver installed & I made sure it was enabled in the hardware screen but it still shows it as not in use. As for fwcutter do I need to disable or uninstall ndiswrapper for it to work? When I go to Hardware it still only shows my option as "wl" & not the driver I installed.

Return to “Hardware Support”