Mint Video Driver SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bj218

Mint Video Driver SOLVED

Post by bj218 »

Linux Mint 8/15/08
Can someone tell me how to remove the video driver now installed on mint 4 and to install
a generic video driver. Right now I get a nice screen of Linux Mint but when the progress bar completes the screen goes black. On this system I have Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 and both work good. Mint worked good until ENVY tried to install a driver for my Nvidia video card (MX4000). I sure would like to get Mint working again.

i INSTALLED MINT 5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zrdc28

Re: Mint Video Driver

Post by zrdc28 »

Go back to envy and hit the uninstall button which is what I did, Hope that works for you.
bj218

Post by bj218 »

zrdc28 wrote:Go back to envy and hit the uninstall button which is what I did, Hope that works for you.
I do not know how to do this! When I boot in normal mode all I get is a black screen and when I boot in safe mode I end up with a command line prompt which I do not know how to use.
zrdc28

Post by zrdc28 »

I went to the command line and typed in envy and it came back with this.
roger@hp:~$ envy
ERROR: you need to provide a parameter:
"-t" for the textual interface
"-g" for the GTK frontend
"--uninstall-all" to completely remove what Envy has done

So I think the command line should look like this.
sudo envy --uninstall-all

Of course it will probably ask you for your password, Hope that works for you.
bj218

Post by bj218 »

zrdc28 wrote:I went to the command line and typed in envy and it came back with this.
roger@hp:~$ envy
ERROR: you need to provide a parameter:
"-t" for the textual interface
"-g" for the GTK frontend
"--uninstall-all" to completely remove what Envy has done

So I think the command line should look like this.
sudo envy --uninstall-all

Of course it will probably ask you for your password, Hope that works for you.
I tried the command "sudo envy --uninstall-all" and I got the following "envy command not found". Can I instal a generic video driver via the Mint CD or the command prompt?

Return to “Beginner Questions”