Does Mint have an UUID number too? Menu.lst

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nooby

Does Mint have an UUID number too? Menu.lst

Post by nooby »

when I try to get what Linux Mint is you mention that one can use the Ubuntu repository.

Ubuntu versions like 8.04? have unique UUID numbers like this menu.lst
title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=5d64478e-4b2e-4c06-a74f-1a06d77a03fa ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

Being a noob I fail to get this comment he have of (recovery mode) and why it is ro single

Single as in single user and not multi user mode?

My question is about the UUID root=UUID=5d64478e-4b2e-4c06-a74f-1a06d77a03fa

Does every Linux Mint have a similar UUID and is it for the software at update to know which update
to send? How do I find out which UUID my LM has. I use the LinuxMint-5-r1.iso and want to do a frugal
install of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Does Mint have an UUID number too? Menu.lst

Post by Fred »

nooby,

Mint uses UUIDs. UUIDs have nothing to do with the software or a particular copy of Mint. UUIDs are unique identifiers for partitions. In Mint they don't use the UUID in the /boot/grub/menu.lst

You should read the below information in the wiki about UUIDs.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem

Fred
nooby

Re: Does Mint have an UUID number too? Menu.lst

Post by nooby »

Sorry my dealy in thanking you for very informative answer.

I especially like this example.
In menu.lst you make the same kind of change, like this:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
quiet
savedefault

Note the difference in the lines "root" and "kernel".

In the line "root" it's the way grub works. Grub starts from zero and always uses hd. So the one in (hd0,1) is sda2.
That one could help me install mint in frugal mode maybe. But I am not sure if I should cause my ISP seems
to think me is not there cause Mint hide me from their ping. So connection dies within some 30 minutes or so.

Fortunately it usually get back if I unplug and plug the cable in again.

But Mint lack some of the mplayer installs too and I prefer to find a distro that has it all
from scratch cause as a noob I always fail doing synaptic and such.

so I get back here if I decide to install. thanks for your answer

Return to “Beginner Questions”