Shutdown Freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Shutdown Freezes

Post by Husse »

I'm sorry to say it but by now an Intel 440 is a very old piece of hardware and on top of that a Savage video chip....
It can be bad luck with the hardware - it's about time for it to break down I'm afraid
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Shutdown Freezes

Post by rivenought »

Jordan, have you tried Ubuntu yet? If you have, and you suffer with the same shutdown issue, then it is an Ubuntu-related problem. So, many times, Mint is going to suffer from the same problems, though not always. If you have the time, you may wish to test and research this theory. The Ubuntu forums are a great place to do some in-depth investigation. From what I have seen many times in the past, your hardware will determine what distro it wants to run no matter how hard you fuss and cuss.

If Mandriva and openSUSE work with no problems, then by all means, your hardware may be giving you suggestions for a preference. I have used both of these distros previously, and both were fine choices. You would have a solid distro no matter upon which one you and your hardware decide. Also, you may wish to consider PCLinuxOS, which is based on Mandriva. All three of these distros have active and helpful forums, so you may wish to peruse through them for any tips or tricks.

On a side note, I have seen this type of freezing behavior previously with a machine where the owner somehow had disabled the Power management daemon (Preferences>Sessions>Startup Programs). Once it was enabled, everything worked normally again. While this may not be your problem, it may be something you might wish to verify.

While I know we all would love to see you having a wonderful Mint experience, the reality is that it is not always the case. Though, on the bright side, there is a perfect Linux distro awaiting you. Good luck, and have fun.

Return to “Installation & Boot”