(solved) Linux made DVD won't play in Windows machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux n00b

(solved) Linux made DVD won't play in Windows machine

Post by Linux n00b »

As the title said. I have this very odd problem. It doesn't matter if it is DVD iso made by DeVeDe (home video) or a backup copy (iso) of k9copy; once I burn a blank disk from the iso, it plays fine in DVD player or my Linux laptop but does not play in Windows machine.

Windows PCs/Laptops (tried multiple PCs and Laptops with either XP or Vista) does not read the disk at all. The best was saying "Windows does not support this format" or something similar. Vista machines were even trying to suggest the disk is both full (just cannot read it) and it is blank (offer to format it).

Anyone saw this problem? What I've done wrong? This is for friend.

This is more of a project to make home video to DVD (using digital video cam). The files stored in the small cam is on SD card. Usually, each file is only a few mins video clip (in MP4 format).

The task:
1. find a program that is simple, easy to use. This is a must.
2. the whole process shouldn't take too long (eg. old ways of encoding overnight is to be avoided).
3. cross platform, means the program should have both Linux and Windows version, and the result should be a playable disk in PCs/Laptops and DVD players.

Right now, I hit a brick wall. DeVeDe is the simplest I could find. However it has problem with too many small files. It doesn't let you select multiple source files at once, adding 60+ files to the list itself is very annoying. It also cannot process too many files at once, after decoding/encoding, it will fail at "create DVD structure" stage. It seems that source files must be limited to a small number.

joint multiple files together is not easy. right now I can do it with "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o", but I couldn't find a free easy to use and decent Windows utility yet.

Last, is the problem that DVD made from my Linux machine won't play in Windows machine.

Before someone suggest Avidemux, I have installed it, tried it, and couldn't work out how to use it (eg. no luck to joint files). If there is a "how to" site, it might be helpful. However, it is too "geeky", average users won't be able to use it, so it does no good for my current task (it is good to learn for myself however).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Linux made DVD won't play in Windows machine

Post by Husse »

I've looked into this and I only find DVDs made in Windows don't play in Linux
To try to get some starting point
Is this for DVD or DVD +-R or both
What disks do you use?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

This is an interesting thread for me to come across here tonight, because I just had this happen with a disc I burned. I have a spindle of Memorex lightscribe DVD+R discs that will not burn correctly in Mint Elyssa. Every time I burn a movie (legal backup of my own stuff of course for any MPAA troll) from an iso it ends up with errors, and fails the integrity check. These same disks work fine in Windows. So tonight I wanted to backup Vantage Point, but even with AnyDVD in Windows I could not break the encryption. So I used K9Copy in Mint, which worked just fine, and make my iso. I then booted into Windows and used Nero to burn the iso. The disk burned fine, and passed the integrity check, but Windows would not play the disk. In fact Windows could not recognize the disk at all. So I booted back into Mint and the DVD played absolutely perfectly. I'm still scratching my head on this one.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

Be honest, I don't think it is the blank disk. I use only good brand blanks and only DVD-R (some old drives doen't like +R).

I use Linux to burn the iso, it plays perfectly fine in DVD players or Linux, if I boot into windows (or try in on windows machine), it doesn't play as what Lantesh reported.

Very odd indeed. I noticed there is a check box to "increase compatibility for windows" if I try to make a data disk (eg. backup my "home"). It seems indicating the format Linux made may not be the same as Windows, or windows doesn't play nice with standard format.

Also to any MPAA troll, I only use k9copy to backup the movie I legally bought, and make DVD from home video (read, we shoot the footage ourselves).
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

The latest version of Brasero does the trick for me. (0.81)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

Found the problem, please read here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/233942

Now, where do I download the 1.1.7 release? Can anyone help?
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I download the genisoimage 1.1.8 deb package (i386).

When I run it, I got this error:

Failed to completely install all dependencies
To fix this run 'sudo apt-get install -f' in a terminal window.

I checked with man apt-get, and run the suggested line.

This is what comes up:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
debhelper intltool-debian vcdimager po-debconf libsnack2 gettext
localechooser-data tcl libtimedate-perl dpkg-dev tcl8.5 tk8.5 html2text
dpatch
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
devede
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3056kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I let it run, and Devede was removed. Now when I try to add it back, package installer complains about dependency not satisfiable: mkisofs

What should I do now? Have I messed up with my installation?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Linux n00b wrote:Found the problem, please read here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/233942

Now, where do I download the 1.1.7 release? Can anyone help?
Thanks for the link. After reading through it I decided to try version 1.1.8-1+b1of genisoimage. That did the trick for me. Here is a link for the deb package direct from Debian that I used.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i386/g ... e/download
Linux n00b

Re: (solved) Linux made DVD won't play in Windows machine

Post by Linux n00b »

I got the genisoimage part, but right now DeVeDe doesn't work. The next version will fix the problem. Email from the developer:

Code: Select all

I've been searching in the web and found the problem: currently Ubuntu
(and a lot more distros) doesn't use the original MKISOFS, but
GENISOIMAGE, which is a fork. To allow compatibility, the GENISOIMAGE
makes a symlink from "/usr/bin/mkisofs" to "/usr/bin/genisoimage", so
when you call "mkisofs", it really calls "genisoimage". Unfortunately
the dependencies on the DeVeDe package are wrong, and it wants only
MKISOFS, instead of MKISOFS OR GENISOIMAGE.

As soon as I receive the remaining translations I'll release DeVeDe 3.11
with this problem fixed. Until that, you can use

sudo dpkg -i --force-all devede_3.10-0~rastersoft2_all.deb

to install the DeVeDe package, or use the TAR.BZ2 file.
The install works, but DeVeDe won't start, Anyone who is using or want to use this software will have to wait for version 3.11, or live with bad ISO image.

Edit: After force installation, do a symlink from "/usr/bin/mkisofs" to "/usr/bin/genisoimage", everything works. The author will address this issue in next release.

Return to “Beginner Questions”