Re-installing Mint without losing /home

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cliff76

Re-installing Mint without losing /home

Post by cliff76 »

I have an install of Mint that I might want to reinstall. I've used separate partitions for my /, swap, and /home. If I reinstall will it wipe my data out of /home? I'm a little nervous because back in my Mepis days I recall a specific option to keep your /home partition between installs. I don't rememebr seeing this option in Mint. How do I reinstall Mint without losing /home?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Re-installing Mint without losing /home

Post by rivenought »

During the partitioning phase of the installation, choose manual, and do NOT check the box for formatting your /home partition. Anything you have stored in /home, including your settings and hidden folders, should still be there after the reinstallation. Make a back-up of your most critical files just in case of an unforeseen emergency. I have done this method numerous times with no problems. Good luck, and have fun.

Return to “Installation & Boot”